The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we guilty of being "Minor Restomods"?
(22-10-2020, 12:02 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: ...I just like the experience of driving real motoring history, not to pretend.

Hear, hear! Just like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=certmUUV...e=youtu.be
Superb!
What a lovely video
does the jiggling up and down actually do anything toward getting up the hill, or is just impatience and desperation?
What rpm are those things doing when on the steepest parts....?
I loved that video. Would like to see more. Is this part of a series touring on old bikes?

In any event, I cringe at the opening article's comment about old cars not being reliable. While engines these days can go many more miles without an overhaul, today's cars are often very difficult to repair when they do need work. My 1998 Toyota pick up with 160,000 miles, just had its heater core replaced, again. Number three is doing fine, but replacement requires removal of the steering wheel and entire dash. My first car was a B, and it was my only car for 12 years and 130,000 miles before it needed and engine overhaul. While it needed regular servicing, everything was easy and no oddball plastic clips to break on something that was never designed to be taken apart.

Erich in Seattle
(22-10-2020, 02:21 PM)JonE Wrote: does the jiggling up and down actually do anything toward getting up the hill, or is just impatience and desperation?
What rpm are those things doing when on the steepest parts....?

I'm sure the shifting and momentary lightening of the load can't hurt keeping it going, but of course he may just have been practicing clenching his buttocks for the rather faster descent on t'other side!
Jon, doesn't everyone know that jiggling up and down is essential to maintain momentum on a hill?

Revs? I would guess about 300-400rpm on the steepest sections, but perhaps a motorcyclist could confirm.

Edit: Hmm... just viewed again, and at 5.30 I reckon there were about two bangs per second, so that's probably rather less than 300rpm!
For something to get to get your heart going a little faster,youtube Bill Tuer Klausenrennan 2013 Fantastic !
Well,I have put rubber tyres on my steam tractor,and ferrodo on the wooden brake blocks. Both common back in the day. But thats about it

I dont even have LED bulbs in the austins. But one has a dynamator.
(22-10-2020, 01:18 PM)Ilmoro Wrote: Four...... and I do have a Ruby ?
I do too (OK, it's really belongs to Anne, my wife) - and I keep in touch with the opposition by reading the (happily still-free) online Grundiaaan. On the subject, it is tempting to modify stuff but so long the changes are "in period" say, a Ruby wiper on a Chummy, a period SU carb and a second rear light; one can live with those.