The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cylinder head water manifold (early)
(24-11-2017, 11:15 AM)Chris KC Wrote: Hi David,

Is it leaking from the top of the stud or around the base? As long as the bottom of the manifold is sound and flat a new gasket may do the trick (if not, you could replace the manifold, or you could try lapping this face on some abrasive paper on a flat surface). If leaking from the top, perhaps some gasket goo (heat resistant) or a fibre washer. Like the side manifold, I'd be careful of the temptation to tighten the nut, unless you know the stud is screwed into sound metal.

As an aside, I have never used anti-freeze in my car, I simply drain it when not in use. This is partly to avoid getting a faceful of anti-freeze when I brake (recently discussed on the forum) but also because glycol is a less efficient coolant than water and your engine will run hotter; fine if your cooling system is in good shape, less fine if it isn't.
Thanks Chris,
the leak is from the rubber gasket (30 years old?) still soft, but splitting. I will get a gasket, dismantle carefully & reassemble even more carefully.
As my aside I always thought glycol raised the boiling point, which is why it was/is used in aircraft engines....
My garage can get quite cold & it is a faff to drain & fill....no drain tap on the radiator... so getting the system in good shape is the aim! The car has had little use since a rebuild in the 80's, so I am getting little bugs out of it. (see my questions on carb overflowing!)

Messages In This Thread
Cylinder head water manifold (early) - by David.H - 23-11-2017, 05:58 PM
RE: Cylinder head water manifold (early) - by David.H - 24-11-2017, 12:42 PM