The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery Charger
Having just destroyed my very handy Adli battery charger (bought one Measham evening in Thirsk with Malcolm Parker) by rolling a car over it (doh!) I'm in need of a replacement.
What's the best source for a cheap "smart" battery charger these days? Our friends at Aldi don't have it listed any more.

c
Try Lidl
I remember you buying the charger, Charles. My current one came from Lidl but you have to keep an eye out for when they have them. As someone who has run over his 3/8" socket set box and his tin of Copperslip both to their detriment, I understand how these things can happen!!

Steve
(23-08-2020, 09:05 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: I remember you buying the charger, 
Steve

Etched in my memory.
The car caught fire later that night!

C
I can recommend the smart chargers from Maypole

https://www.maypoleltd.com/product/mp742...t-charger/

I had a previous model for several years and it worked well 6 and 12v. It eventually overheated and failed in a hotel bedroom last year. I wrote to Maypole customer services to point out the fire hazard. They immediately offered a free replacement even though it was years out of warranty.  The new one works well and appears to be even smarter with strong initial charge on flat battery changing over to nice slow trickle.

They're available on Amazon and eBay, a bit more than Lidl/Aldi about £20-25. Worth the extra for a UK company with customer services (allbeit that its made in china).
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
I work for a company that designs and sells battery chargers, and i would recommend this product (its not one that my company produces!):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOCO-GENIUS1UK-...Y2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Well made, beautifully packaged and has lots of accessories available such as extension leads. I have the previous version of this model and it works very well.

Personally i would avoid maypole and streetwize - they sell products sourced off the shelf from China with minimal testing.
Stuart Bullen
Halfords have got a big choice, it's been on the car for the last 3 years.
The Aldi chargers are super value;they have come on the market October-November -ish every year,presumably to cover the rush of flat batteries at that time. The equivalent spec from halfords is more than three times the money.Well worth looking out for.
It's almost as Richard is a buyer for Aldi

On sale from today. £12.99
6V/12V fully automatic
What's not to like

How apposite. I think we are all guilty of auto excess, Charles, especially me!