The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
While looking for a cat litter tray I found a paint roller bucket
I have got to the part of the engine rebuild where I wanted to check that the oil jets do point at the crank, so while looking around the shed I had in mind something like a cat litter tray to hold the diesel and then I saw the paint roller tray.  Quite frankly the designer must have had an Austin 7 engine in mind as the reservoir is only at the oil pump end so less diesel needed, it has a spout on one corner and it's just the right size.

It was worthwhile as the jets missed the crank holes by an inch.

Attached Files
.jpeg   IMG_20200815_124454-01.jpeg (Size: 164.37 KB / Downloads: 640)
.jpeg   IMG_20200815_130313-01.jpeg (Size: 235.74 KB / Downloads: 640)
Cheers

Mark
Sounds like a worthwhile exercise Mark.
Wish I had that much free space on my workbench!!
Nice Phoenix crank in there Mark.
Can I suggest the crankcase needs to be level in both directions to set the jets.
(15-08-2020, 02:50 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote: Nice Phoenix crank in there Mark.
Can I suggest the crankcase needs to be level in both directions to set the jets.

Well spotted, although the rate the diesel was coming out wouldn't leave much room for deflection and it was level east west, but I am making excuses for not wanting to get dieselled again.

(15-08-2020, 11:31 AM)Chris KC Wrote: Sounds like a worthwhile exercise Mark.
Wish I had that much free space on my workbench!!

It did take me half a day to win back that space, if only I could keep it that way.
Cheers

Mark
Zetomagneto Wrote:
Nice Phoenix crank in there Mark.
Can I suggest the crankcase needs to be level in both directions to set the jet

Does this mean that the big ends only get sufficient lubrication when driving on the straight and level. I very much doubt it as otherwise there would be a lot of sevens with big ends run down when running hard climbing hills.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I can't get to the bench to even try and clear it!
Let's just say I need a bigger workspace...
(15-08-2020, 02:50 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote: Nice Phoenix crank in there Mark.
if you think about it, it probably doesn’t make much difference. It’s the relative positions if jet and crank that matter. If you tilt the crankcase, they move together.
Alan Fairless
Surely it depends on the pressure being used to set the jets, if decent pressure then no makes no difference if not level
We have a purpose built A7 engine rebuild stand which can flip a complete engine upside down, we do jet checking in this frame with the motor right way up as well as upside down as on the race cars we run the Forrest double oiler conversion.

I have a small rotary pump that possibly came from someone who collected tropical fish, I attach one end of a rubber hose the the bottom of the oil pump extension & the other end is in a tin of paraffin. A big plastic bath goes under the engine & I spin the pump with a battery drill. We use 2 rubber caps over the lower pair of jets whichever way the crank case is standing & the volume of spray is more than sufficient to direct the 'charge' at the crank & allow us to tweak the aim until we have maximum arc of crank 'acceptance' into the oil pocket.

Aye
Greig