The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American austin
hi Folks,

I am based here in the US. I have my 1937 Opal with me, but very minimal spares at the moment. My question is this:
I have the opportunity of buying a fairly complete American Austin engine and gearbox for around 400 pounds. The seller knows nothing about the engine. Is it worth the risk so that I might have a spare engine if mine takes a bad turn at some point?  I understand that it’s way different but the crankcase looks almost identical from the pics. I am thinking I could mount it as a temp. replacement in the event of catastrophic failure and stay mobile while fixing mine. Any thoughts?
If you use Facebook and are a member of the Austin Seven group, try asking Katherine Fennessy Bailey (a US member). She has a Ruby and her dad an American Austin, so may know what is interchangeable.
I don’t think you can easily do this.
For instance I think the engine is a mirror image just for starters.
Of course I cannot bevcertain about this but you should check first.
You will certainly be able to purchase a replacement engine somewhere in Britain.
As Ian says, the American Austin motor is a mirror image of the UK version. Here's a picture that I took at the Hershey show a few years ago.
[Image: 25907588413_b058ca345c_z.jpg]

There are some detail differences too as you can see. Not sure if your gearbox (transmission)  would hookup either as the US version was always three speed AFAIK. Some of the differences (like the clutch) are easier to see in this pile of American Austin spares I snapped at the same show.

[Image: 26484507666_ffec78c044_z.jpg]
The American Austin engine is indeed a mirror-image version of the British Austin. I'm sure it will be possible to effect a swap, but my guess is it will not be straight-forward.
Claw, where are you located? I am in the PNW and there are a number of Sevens in Vancouver BC with spares. I think you would find, if you could fit the engine itself without modification, the gearbox, clutch and other controls will require modification.

Erich in Seattle
I think you will run into interference between the exhaust pipe that attaches to the manifold and the steering box.
Thanks so much folks. I’ve decided to pass on the engine for now. I’m located in New Jersey, so I’ll definitely dig around for spares if there are some in Canada as Erich suggests. I’ll join the Facebook group too. All great ideas. Thanks so much.
Claw, let me know if you need anything on this side of the pond. PM me and I can ask the folks in Vancouver.

Erich in Seattle