The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seat Frames
I have just taken apart a (Ruby) seat which looked to be in original condition; the woodwork was rather firmly fixed to the metal of the seat with steel bifurcated rivets which appeared to have been driven directly into the wood (without any pilot holes etc.)

Is anyone able to confirm this was the original fixing method? And more to the point has anyone succeeded in re-assembling using the same method? Or have others successfully substituted other fixings? - I guess woodscrews would be the most obvious choice.

Any experience welcomed...

Thanks
Chris
When we re-furbish seat frames we always screw the new timber into the sides and top. The thin strip at the bottom needs bifurcated rivets. I've not seen the fixings that you describe.
Hi Chris, Yes I have seen what you describe on A7 seats, the bifurcated rivets seem to spread as driven into the wood making for a pretty secure fastening.
Black Art Enthusiast
Thanks Martin, should have guessed you would know how to fix it in. Woodscrews sound robust to me.

And Ian, thanks for confirming mine is not the only pair fixed this way. The seats I had apart are late Ruby (I think) and I'm convinced it was factory upholstery; though different in some minor respects to other seat trim I've seen (such as the beading).

Incidentally once the back covers were off the name REXINE is boldly printed on the inside.