The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Under £100 paint job
I originally painted mine in the late 80’s but didn’t finish the car then, the Tekaloid paint was much easier to use back then. I finished painting it a couple of years ago now, but I understand the new modern version Of the paint has had a lot of nasties taken out to comply with the latest regulations.
I was going to do a quick touch up but making the most of lockdown I have completely stripped my Pearl for repaint. Halfway through now using Craftmaster coach enamel and Purdy brushes as recommended by them. The finish is way better than I expected and you really struggle to find brush marks. Lots of time needs to be spent on prep and you learn as you go. This involves repainting the first panels several times as you learn from your mistakes.
My previous brush painting being in the early 1960s when I painted my Ruby with Valspar paint with any brush available so expectations were not high.
(28-07-2020, 10:04 PM)Gordon Puzey Wrote: I was going to do a quick touch up but making the most of lockdown I have completely stripped my Pearl for repaint. Halfway through now using Craftmaster coach enamel and Purdy brushes as recommended by them. The finish is way better than I expected and you really struggle to find brush marks. Lots of time needs to be spent on prep and you learn as you go. This involves repainting the first panels several times as you learn from your mistakes.
My previous brush painting being in the early 1960s when I painted my Ruby with Valspar paint with any brush available so expectations were not high.

I used Valspar in 1970 on my first 750 sidevalve. It had a smell all it's own and was really good paint. later it became just like any cheap modern household gloss.
I have to admit my first car , Morris Eight 1938 Series 11
Was famous as being the worst M8 they could find to put
on the back of the definitive Profile Publication on the Morris Eight.
It’s number was BBO 218 and was on the back page of that booklet.

I Brush painted It with a lurid blue polyurethane circa 1967.
It expired when they brought in the 10 year test and the inspector objected to my use
of Dexion to repair the rear chassis member.

That car gave a lot of fun to a lot of people!

Regards
Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Good to see a youthfull enthusiast restoring an old car.  That in itself is getting about as rare as the cars themselves!.  If I were in your shoes I would try to get hold of a compressor and air line.  I am sure there are plenty of smaller ones about... you just have to ask around.  When I was a lad I used a cylinder vacuum cleaner....

I have recently bought a mini spray gun for just a few quid which holds enough to do one panel at a time.

I have an old spray gun you can have if you want to collect from Derby.
Good to see the next generation of garagiste/tinkerers emerging. Well done for your approach and good to see the support from the wrinkleys
Denis, you made a fine-looking job of your Ruby!

I have just used a tin of Tekaloid for something else, but when opening the tin I got a blast of xylene(?) - smelled just like Hammerite used to only stronger. Had to 'phone the supplier and check it was thinned with white spirit. It is clearly not the same stuff it once was - still a decent paint but I wouldn't want to use much of it in a confined space.

Something many 'restorers' overlook is that commercial paint finishes back in the 20's and 30's weren't much to write home about.
I personally prefer the look of a car which has a few marks here and there to one which has just emerged flawless from a modern spray shop.
Chris, Tekaloid is certainly not what it used to be, which is why so many people including motorists have moved to Craftsmaster.
I have a very understanding wife, all the parts were painted in the “family” bathroom, after each coat I religiously finished, shut door and walked away and did not go near it till the following morning.
Most times it was ok but sometimes I found I missed a bit, it was then a case of rub down and go again.
In truth there could be as many 10+ coats of paint, including primer, under coats and top coats, on the wings definitely more.
Denis S
Ha ha I did more than ten Denis! The trouble with painting an 'Ulster' is it's all one continuous panel so 'all or nothing'...