The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HEAD STUD EXTRACTOR.
Chris G, is this is the extractor which grabs the stud like a large collet chuck and you tighten it with a drawbolt?
If so, I agree 100% with your assessment of their powers. I have used them before [work place supplied, fortunately for my bank balance] and it is easily possible to get a non-slip grip on the stud as the 'collets' tend to bite into the stud [this is a good thing]. The only slight drawback is the length of the tool when you're working in some positions like exhaust manifolds, no such issue with head studs.
RPM, thank you for your compliments , but I have to confess my patience with this particular task was learned the hard way [i.e. by suffering the various outcomes of being, shall we say, impatient]
These are the stud extractors I inherited from my late father-in-law, a German Einhander and a British King Dick though seeing the two names together could be suggestive ... ;-)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(15-05-2020, 02:51 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: These are the stud extractors I inherited from my late father-in-law, a German Einhander and a British King Dick though seeing the two names together could be suggestive ... ;-)

I know it's wrong to put this in writing but I like your King Dick. Never seen one like that before.

c

Stop it. No Kenneth Williams exhortation of the word "Matron" please.
I answered a call of distress from a friend of ours this week who said she had problems with a large rusty nut stuck in her bottom bracket and did I have a tool that might help. "Of course I do" I replied, she popped round and I put my King Dick on the drive and she picked it up and went home.

Returned half an hour later saying it worked and left smiling.

I've been smirking like a schoolboy ever since, one day I might grow up...
I think this diagram from the Koken catalogue explains the action of the design that most seem to approve. The Sealey / Snap On / Blue Point items are all of similar design I think.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

AGW:  Yes that's the one - Snap-on MHW 29895. I agree it cannot be used in all circumstances but all tools have their limitations at times I suppose!

Colin: The Blue Point above is not the Koken type. I have a set of these. I have found them to be " OK ".
A very sophisticated and no doubt efficient piece of kit. Having only ever had to use a stud extractor half a dozen times in the last 30 years I've managed. However f I was stuck I'd see if I could borrow one of those. My own policy of lending tools is NO CHANCE MATE!
(15-05-2020, 08:56 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: A very sophisticated and no doubt efficient piece of kit. Having only ever had to use a stud extractor half a dozen times in the last 30 years I've managed. However f I was stuck I'd see if I could borrow one of those. My own policy of lending tools is NO CHANCE MATE!

A good rule for both tools and books

c
+1 for SnapOn/Stahlwille, excellent tools but in my experience I can make them go 'missing' as quickly [or more quickly] than the supermarket brands without even exposing them to the dangers of loaning them out. Unfortunately, over the years I can count the number of times a customer has found & returned my 'inadvertently left in the car/on the site' tools on the fingers of one hand.
Don't get me started on books....
Colin I have the 5/16 needle type of extractor shown as koken in your example and despite the high cost it split vertically and lost all its needles after limited use. I hasten to add it was not Koken brand but I like the substantial look of the collet type Chris has used and am looking to replace with that.