The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
My COVID-19 project
Ah yes I see it now in the first pics; but not in Henry's model, which is why I raised the subject.
Inelegant perhaps, but with a bit of extra bracketry the contribution to tail end strength is massive on my car - conceived to support luggage in the tail.
Thanks for the kind compliments. I'll be posting more pics as the project progresses.

(06-05-2020, 11:34 PM)Mark R Wrote: What a fantastic project, the model looks very nice.

There were two photographs of the Birkett car on eBay the other week but they were removed. Link to the eBay listing

Were all of the TT car floorpans similar? I thought VE was a standard production Ulster rather than TT or is the difference simply one of a narrower width, out of interest what is the width of a TT at its widest? Is the Canadian car and this body the only original TT bodies surviving (that are known of course)?
I saw the ebay pics, thanks.

I don't know if all the TT floorpans were the same, none of the three known bodies has an original front floor.

VE is a production car but many details are the same.

TT body is 33 inches wide at the rear cross-member, the dash is 30 1/2 inches wide.
Production 'Ulster' is 36 inches wide at the rear cross-member, the dash is 35 1/2 inches wide.

Hi Kris, photo of the steel plate on one side loosely held in place with small nuts & bolts, there is a matching one on the other side.
Looks like it is actually one with the floor. The one I installed in my Ulster rep went a bit further back & boxed the end of the spare wheel well.
(06-05-2020, 11:44 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: That fishtail is awesome!

Was I the only one to spot it Ruairidh? It tickled me anyway!
Holland Birkett and Arthur Mallock arriving at The Red Cow 1941?

Marvellous photo   Smile
(07-05-2020, 10:41 AM)Chris KC Wrote: Ah yes I see it now in the first pics; but not in Henry's model, which is why I raised the subject.
Inelegant perhaps, but with a bit of extra bracketry the contribution to tail end strength is massive on my car - conceived to support luggage in the tail.

The reinforcing was certainly there in 1930 but probably fitted as an afterthought after the debut of the new model "Supercharged Supersports" at the BARC Easter race meeting at Brooklands that year.

Not just the large plates behind the seats, but also floor reinforcing straps fitted to the top surface of the floor above the rear chassis cross-member.

The car in Canada before restoration....

Behind the seats

The floor straps

Just visible in this pic in the spray booth

This factory pic of a brand new TT in 1930 shows the rivets that fix both types...

It certainly looks like you've researched it well. That's a fabulous photo of the new TT and nice to see it in so much detail, were any other pictures taken at the same time or is there only one side on shot known? I remember speaking to Ray Pettet and he had built an Ulster body with a stainless floor, not really sure on the merits or otherwise, would the VSCC and others accept it? How thick was the original alloy floor on the TT cars, I guess the weight of fuel on the front end probably didn't help the life of the original footwell area.
Henry,
I've sent you a PM. Is it of any interest?
Chris