Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wanted - Steering box
Hi, does any one have a spare vintage type steering box? I'm looking particularly for an uncracked, good aluminium casting, carrying part number XL896 or 1A6025. Thanks!

Tim Reynolds

.jpeg   38E24E0A-6620-4453-926B-70B5CDB9A3B0.jpeg (Size: 96.32 KB / Downloads: 179) Is casting no 1a6084 any use to you?
Regards. Kevin.
.jpeg   38E24E0A-6620-4453-926B-70B5CDB9A3B0.jpeg (Size: 96.32 KB / Downloads: 179)
Hi Kevin, thanks for the input but 1A6084 is the Box Saloon type that I have already on the Chummy (see the post on "Restoring a Top Hat"). Ruairidh informs me that 1A6084 is probably why the steering column is about 1/2" left of where it's supposed to be! I had managed to get a correct vintage type box to replace the Chummy one but had to use it for the Top Hat because that car had a cracked casting.

Thanks again.
Ok. Thanks for the reply. 
Kevin.
Tim can you not repair the cracked one ?

Send me a picture maybe I can repair it for you.
It's comprehensively cracked....

And it's in the region of the fine thread for the column.

I have another that carries only one crack but again, it's in the threaded area....

TR
Hi,

What is different between the later and earlier boxes. I have the same issue with a broken XL box and I was planning to fit a later box. I know they look slightly different but I assumed they fitted the same.

Thanks

David

Just looked at the two steering boxes and the angle is clearly different. Does anyone know what the angle  should be?
Just looked at the two steering boxes and the angle is clearly different. Does anyone know what the angle  should be?
Have you tried Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure,could be worth a try its not dear.Ted
You'd be off your trolley to use that! Sorry, couldn't resist