The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lock Down Musings
Many years ago I provided an article for a car club mag. Inflicting it on the Seven Forum will help amortise the effort. 

Believe It Or Not (But All True)
     Gleaned from the many dull automotive technical texts I have waded through over the years, some typical facts may interest.
Temperatures
1)  Oil temperature in a big end is 30 deg C higher than sump temp.
2)  With an iron cylinder head, combustion chamber surface temp is as much as 60 deg C hotter than with an alloy head. (Why my Minx pings on 8.3:1 c.r? Alloy permits one ratio of comp. increase.)
3)  Flat out, piston crown temperature can reach 320 deg C. Then weak.
4)  About 2/3 of the heat entering the piston crown is transferred  away through the rings alone. (All traversing the cyl oil film!)
5)  Exhaust valves often operate at 600 deg C (dark red), increasing at very high outputs to 750 deg C (red!). Plug electrode similar.
6)  Comb. chamber gas attains about 2,600 deg C. Cast iron melts 1200 deg C
7)  Temperature inside the spark momentarily reaches 60,000 deg C!
Pressures
8)  Combustion chamber pressure in p.s.i. peaks at about 100x C.R. (Which is why Javelin engine thud gets even worse at 9:1!)
Under heavy pinging, the pressure increases about 20%.
9)  When pinging, the spot pressure in the exploding gas can reach 2,700 p.s.i. accompanied by sonic shock waves. Hence the rattle!
10) Spot pressure in a plain crankshaft bearing may be 20 tons p.s.i.
11) Spot pressure in a rolling bearing may be 200 t.p.s.i.
Thicknesses
12) Crankshaft bearings are designed to operate with a minimum oil film of .8/10,000 of an inch. (cf thin hair 2/1,000 inch).
13) Cylinder wall oil thickness for the top ring is usually about 1 to 2/10,000 inch over most of the travel, dropping to .4/10,000 or less at the very top.
14) When oil films diminish below .4/10,000 inch metal-metal contact occurs, with associated wear.
Surprising
15) The top ring spends half its time in contact with the top face of the ring groove. (Where considerable wear occurs.)
16) A thin layer of cool unburned gas remains adjacent to the chamber and cylinder walls throughout. This prevents the engine melting! (An exception is when destroyed by condition 9!)
17) Under many conditions of operation, fuel travels along the inlet manifold partly as a river of liquid. 
18) Pressure waves in ex/intake pipework travel at speed of sound.
19) Some high perf. engines acheive greater than 100% cyl. fill.

(30-04-2020, 08:17 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: Many years ago I provided an article for a car club mag. Inflicting it on the Seven Forum will help amortise the effort. 
Ha ha!
Quote: 
Believe It Or Not (But All True)
     Gleaned from the many dull automotive technical texts I have waded through over the years, some typical facts may interest.
Yes, interesting indeed Bob. Thanks.
Renaud
Whilst no doubt some will be tempted to nit-pick and bicker, the underlying message here is a good one - conditions inside automotive engines are quite remarkable and not always as you might guess. I can only claim to have dipped a finger into engine design, but as I slowly learn more I realise just how much more there is to learn - and that many facts are in fact only informed (or indeed uninformed!) opinions....
Agreed Chris.
What worries me are the  things we don’t know that we don’t know!
I should have extended to cover basic inertia  and centrifugal forces, but these had been covered elsewhere. Forces are astonishing to ordinary folk and mechanics alike. The fact that most increase with the square of revs is all important. (ie at 6,000 more than double at 4,000. 36 vs 16) Seeing how far around you can pusuade the revcounter comes with a cost, not always immediately evident.
Indeed so - I recently got a look at some calcs for a modern engine and the con rod forces under power were 5 tons or so.
Inertia forces on the overrun at high revs can be larger than the combustion forces (quite likely on an A7).
Another subject for another day. For low comp small bore engines the upward force at end of exh stroke exceeds at modest rpm the net downward force on the full throttle firing stroke. At high revs, on the power stroke the upwrd thrust is so great the piston does not push down so much as not push up! On the overrun the two middle pistons both push up and down with full force together bending the crank.  Hence at 60 mph it is prudent to coast your Seven down the motorway gradients (assuming you have found a suitable truck to slipsteam).
There is another Believe it or Not.
In the parts book 1029A for the RP the grooves for 2nd ring are shown drilled through. This may be by the same artist who drew the diff pinion, but if ever actually drilled would render the ring non functional as a compression ring as rings depend on the gas pressure behind! In the 70s when there was obsession about economy some cars were made with one compression ring. I suspect my everyday "modern" had broken top rings for the last 100,000 miles so effectively only one ring It had less comp on thr handle than a worn Seven and fumed, but performance, economy and oil use fine.