The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front damper
Following on from an earlier article about the 'handling' has anyone had any experience with the twin damper setup offered by various suppliers.
My RN seems to have a mind of its own when deciding which direction to go, there is no play in the steering and king pins. Steering box is adjusted properly. Tracking is spot on, tyre pressures of 30 psi seem to work best.
The biggest single difference came about by replacing the rear springs, that made a great improvement.
I don't try to drive fast at all, no point as far as I can see but I would like it to be a bit more predictable.
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
What tyres are you running please?
After tyres, I would look at the all important caster angle, especially as new rear springs may have raised the rear of the car slightly.
On my 1929 Special I have removed one damper link and connected the arm directly to the axle. I am also running my 19" Avons at 23 psi. Ths has improved handling and reduced "wander".
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Extensive thread on this:
https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...r+and+twin
I am currently running my RP saloon on new Avon Triple Duties at 26 lbs/sq.in. The car had less tendency to wander on the Mitas tyres that the Avons replaced, but, there again, just about everything that i have ever driven with a solid beam front axle seems to have a tendency to pick its way round the bumps However, tyre pressure is everything, I have found. A few days ago, I had the misfortune to have a puncture on the top of the Berwyns on the way back from feeding the horses. The spare (also an Avon Triple Duty) was inflated to 30 lbs/sq.in and, once fitted to the nearside front, the car was all over the road like a frightened rabbit!

It looks to be the case that, within reason, the lower the tyre pressures, the less the car will wander.
Is it just a case of roll steer from the back end as one spring flattens and the other cambers up as it goes over bumps.
If you are running Longstone tyres at 30 psi it will be all over the road, after talking to Longstones they weren't surprised and advised 24 psi which made all the difference.
That's a new one on me. Longstones told me 30psi for the 3.50-19s although I used to run the Avons at 23psi.
30 psi is too high for Longstones in my experience - let's see what Barry is running and then we can adjust (or not) accordingly.