The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amelia Island Concours D'elegance
I'm pretty sure the Taylor is in fact a Rexine... although it's difficult finding corroborating evidence.
Remember the Doctor's coupe with the wickerwork effect? Has anyone got anything on that, out of interest.
Yes I agree Jon, pictures I have studied appear to be some sort of Rexine, still must have been a pretty unusual and striking looking car when new.
Black Art Enthusiast
The top panels are certainly fabric, but I am pretty sure the side panels are alloy; if you look at the pattern there is a degree of inconsistency which suggests hand polishing rather than a machine-made fabric:

.jpg   1928 Taylor Semi-Sports crop.jpg (Size: 112.88 KB / Downloads: 264)
Taylor 1928 adverts - one talks of a "duo colour fabric to choice". If the finish was engine-turned aluminium, it would have looked spectacular, though possibly a little too bright for conservative tastes. Was this the 1920s equivalent of today's "wrapping" process?    

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-03-2020, 09:39 AM)JonE Wrote: I've got a lot of information on this car if anyone was considering it. I'd like to know what it got to, as it had no reserve?
https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/am20/...lor/853052

btw, has anyone seen the "serial number" with those suffix letters listed... on a cylinder head before. I can't think it came from anywhere else.

If you click the link again, the price is listed: $25,200 inclusive of fees. (19,254 pounds)
(08-03-2020, 09:39 AM)JonE Wrote: I've got a lot of information on this car if anyone was considering it. I'd like to know what it got to, as it had no reserve?
https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/am20/...lor/853052

btw, has anyone seen the "serial number" with those suffix letters listed... on a cylinder head before. I can't think it came from anywhere else.
Do please tell us more; e.g. it's a coupled-brakes chassis yet uses the "inside-the-car" scuttle fuel tank and, of course, the earlier radiator as well.

.jpg   Taylor.jpg (Size: 171.81 KB / Downloads: 178)

This later Taylor has a long bonnet - but it has a different tail and a flat windscreen. 

The earlier advertising picture seem to show a patterned fabric not engine turned aluminium, which I thought would have been mentioned in the notes being so time intensive.  

The two ID plates shown on the US car are reproductions- if the stamped chassis number 131817 is correct it may be a 1931 car but the car number 1A38SZ seems odd, from earlier discussions  shouldn't it be CHA1**** 

The Taylor badge looks right, although the flat bottomed cowl has been painted.
(09-03-2020, 04:47 AM)Tony Press Wrote: This later Taylor has a long bonnet - but it has a different tail and a flat windscreen. 

I suspect the auction car originally had this style body - the truncated tail doesn't look original to me.
Is this the same car in 1965?

yes! Featured in Rooster Tales etc. Sadly, the owner who had it prior to the snub tail (from that old thread, R) hasn't replied...