The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Speedy' Headlamps
Good afternoon. I have received an enquiry from someone who is restoring a 1934 'Speedy'. He has the remains of headlamps of unknown type with Lucas/Wipac 7" conversions.

Could anyone advise me of what lamps were fitted to the 'Speedy' I have suggested type 35 with reeded glasses or LB130  with diffusa glass. Were sidelamps fitted to this model?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
Hello Stuart, I'm afraid I can't help with the type of headlamp. However, I believe that if the car was produced in '34 before the name change from Type 75 to Speedy(July '34), the car would not have had wing mounted side lamps. The side lamps for the Type 75 would have been incorporated into the headlamp assembly. After July '34, when the name change occurred to Speedy, the side lamps would have been mounted on the front wings. Other changes included armored wiring to cloth and manual spark advance to automatic using weights.

Erich in Seattle
Hi Stuart

Rinsey Mills shows a picture of Speedy on page 91. The caption reads “a post Ulster sports model headlamp with distinctive ribbed glass, seen on a 1934 Speedy”.

The Source book states this for the Speedy (page 396)... Smaller than standard Lucas dip and switch headlights and an ST 38 stop light identical to the type used on the type 65.  The 1935 models followed Nippy modifications with separate wing mounted sidelights........

Hope this helps

Cheers

Howard
Hi,
The early Type 65 / Nippys were fitted with LB130 lamps and no seperate side lamps with vertical fluted glass.
I suspect the Type 75 and Speedy followed the same details.
Later Nippys had LB133 lamps and seperate sidelamps.
The Lucas medalion is vertically above the mounting stem on the Type65 / Nippy.
The Type 65 /Nippy / Speedy headlamps are mounted in the same way.

This info is gleaned from various pictures and publications ( Rinsey Mills, Chris Gould, Harvey )
I hope this will help.

My Type 65 has oversize headlamps with 7" sealed beam units inside them.

Side lamps were fitted in the latter part of 1934 between chassis 1833445 and 2000000 ( Info Chris Gould )
I suppose you have looked here Stuart?
https://aus7in.wordpress.com/2016/05/14/...nd-speedy/
The pics aren't big but possibly Jon or Clive could help you with larger ones.
Of course whether they are original or not is another question!
Chris and All, on the Nippy/Speedy website, there needs some clarification. The car with reg number KR 6194 is my car as it was originally found by Mike Stewart in the early sixties. Mike subsequently began restoring the car and changed the number to WO 7818. It is a Type 75 and should not have the side lamps. In the earlier photo(KR) it has many incorrect details, including incorrect headlamps. I should note that it is thought that some bodies were built up as cars by at least one outside firm after the model was discontinued by Austin. In those cases, the details may have been different than works produced cars.

Erich in Seattle
Many thanks for the prompt replies. I have always associated the reeded glass with Type 35 lamps (Lucas Graves twin filament) as shown in Rinsey Mills. 1934 would suggest LB130's with separate sidlamps as with the jewel models.

It is now a case of 'yer pays yer money and you takes your choice'

Thanks again,

Regards

Stuart
This was the Type 75 owned by the father of my folks friend -  she is in her mid '70's and it was her Dad's car

The picture was taken in Cape Town, South Africa in the mid '30's.

Alas that's all the info I have on it

Ciao
Greig

Attached Files
.jpg   Austin 7 Speedy (Type 75) - Roly & Marion Pattle (Marion's Dad's 7, circa mid 30's).jpg (Size: 93.64 KB / Downloads: 172)
Now that is a decent historical photo.
Well done for posting it.
I like the 16" Export wheels.
Greig, that is a great photo. Any idea at all when it was built?

Erich in Seattle