The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head gasket
I have been having a tidy up today and come across the cardboard packaging for the head gasket that I fitted to my HC head Ruby. The packaging was labelled as " LC" !!!!
I am not 100 percent sure if this was the original packaging for the gasket and the car runs well.
Thought I would just ask what the effect of inadvertently fitting a LC gasket to a HC engine would be ?
Regards
Joe.
Joe,
If it is a low compression gasket for an early pre Ruby head, then I fear it won't last!
J
I have an early MK1. 1935 Ruby and always fit the low compression head without problem. I have always thought this was the correct gasket for engines with the single bolt top water outlet. The later Ruby’s with the two bolt top water outlet has the HC gasket.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Thanks for the replies.
My head is definitely HC with the two bolt water outlet.
The gasket that I fitted was a copper / asbestos type which I am assuming is the same or similar construction wether high or low compression ?
I will order a new, correct gasket and swap it over the winter lay up.
Regards
Joe.
There's others out there better able to advise than I but if I remember correctly a HC gasket laid over a low comp head falls outside the boundaries of the combustion chambers - in other words, if you fit a LC gasket to an HC head it will have lugs protruding into the combustion chamber, and might well not seal properly.