The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why no Austin Sevens in TV Restoration Shows?
Hi Colin,

I have it on good authority that for example; Car SOS have a budget of £50.0000 per program,the exception being the 1959 Triumph TR3A which was almost £100.000. So as you say I would think it would be well in budget, but maybe not fancy enough. Dodgy
A lot of the car SOS stuff is far from fancy, so that is unlikely to be the reason, why not nominate a a deserving A7 owner and see what happens. Fuzz may not be a seven expert but he is well enough versed in them to do the job as well as pretty much any other professional restorer.
Black Art Enthusiast
Austin Sevens feature in articles like 'Back on the Road' by Michael Ware in the Automobile - so they should be 'fancy' enough?  Perhaps one has never been available in the right place at the right time as there are always plenty of others willing to step up and take them on?  (All us lot.)
If you want to see an A7 on Car SOS then you need to get in touch with the production team and suggest a suitably deserving case, typically an unfinished restoration project belonging to your best mate or family member.
Probably more importantly there needs to be a back story which is pretty formulaic.  Typically:  man (or lady) buys car with view to use/restoration; uses it for a few years, preferably in a significant way such as family wedding transport or major long distance travel; takes it off the road for complete restoration; starts restoration; other life events interfere, e.g. serious illness or family illness requiring almost full-time care, loss of job, whatever else; owner can't bear to part with his/her precious car and still daydreams of having it back on the road even though he/she has virtually no chance of completion, especially as after several decades of unsatisfactory storage the car is in a very poor state. Car SOS team secretly remove car from storage and completely restore it within  2-3 weeks, then return it to the unsuspecting owner in an undercover staged rendezvous.
There must be dozens of A7s with their owners that would fit this storyline. I don't know of any, but best of luck to anyone who can persuade the programme to take on a deserving case.  Personally I would like to see what they do with a decrepit but bog standard common lwb saloon or tourer, especially with regard to keeping it looking original.  Ulsteroids, Specials and such are less challenging in this respect.
CAR SOS have previously done a 1928 Austin 12 Tourer, and a c1940 Austin military truck. (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_SOS  for complete list)
These general entertainment shows are not intended to go into technicalities or engineering processes - they are just advertising-revenue-raising stunts. Start banging on about lapping in crown wheels and pinions, or reaming a small end, and most will switch off. Can you imagine the BBC getting into details those below today?

[Image: bbc.jpg]
Fuzz Townshend (Car SOS) did have an Austin 7 albeit a special. I'm fairly sure it was sold to a Mr Williams of water ski special fame.
When I visited Gaydon in February there was a display of some of the Car SOS vehicles. Having had a good look at them close up I would say they are certainly not bodge jobs and I would think completely made good the owners unfulfilled dreams. Can totally believe £50K plus budget.
(10-12-2019, 09:08 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: These general entertainment shows are not intended to go into technicalities or engineering processes - they are just advertising-revenue-raising stunts. Start banging on about lapping in crown wheels and pinions, or reaming a small end, and most will switch off. Can you imagine the BBC getting into details those below today?
I would watch a "serious" programme, but I have given up on the current restoration programmes, not due to the lack of skill from the "workers" but the antics of the co-prestenter. 

James May: The Reassemble, was a reasonably serious series, but to show all the work evolved, would a car restoration over a number of weeks appeal to large enough audience?
The cars seem to turn out okay, but the hype over unrealistic timescales and other aspects of the TV presentation - like the skimming over of many wrinkles - can seem dishonest and condescending - are we just supposed to swallow what they say?  (This is not limited to car programmes!)
I think we should not lose sight of the fact that these are TV programs produced for entertainment of the masses...