The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Replacing cylinderhead
Hi All
Bit of advise please, would like your opinion on the state of the bores on my 1927 Seven.
In the process of fitting a Ricardo alloy head to improve performance.
No problem with running or oil use prior to removal.
Plus 30 pistons fitted no excessive movement or lip.
Bores are smooth but show signs of marking.
Question is do I start a major rebuild or a simple decode and reassemble?
Many thanks
Paul

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
Alan Fairless
Looks like corrosion from long standing. Hopefully not rust coming through.
I have heard many stories of long stored engines with corroded bores running quite satisfactorily.

Although it may complicate oil consumption engines can run with surprising little power loss despite considerable wear. 
Until recent times .007 taper was considered acceptable for large engines and many ran with .010 or so. Now books recommend rebore at a mere .003 taper!
As you are wishing to improve performance, if it was me I would get the engine out and make a general assessment including bottom end etc. This might be preferable to a piecemeal approach.
Nice looking head.

Charles
(19-11-2019, 07:35 PM)Alan Wrote: If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

+1

Steve
+2
If it doesn't use much oil and you have good compressions then leave well alone.
One thing it does need is a quick decoke. As for the rest, it's more a matter of what you can feel (or measure) than what you can see.
I am running an engine with bores a lot worse than that, quite deeply pitted in places.

It starts easily on the handle, runs ok.   Probably uses oil, but I don't do enough miles in that car to notice.
My '29 had a Ricardo on for a while and the engine was probably similar. i.e. long unused and no knowledge of other than things being "well checked over". It ran beautifully with it on but even with the lowest CR version possible, it is still going to increase pressures throughout the engine, so just monitor...
Are you using the Ricardo head gasket, or one of the standard?
One of my engines has marks and indentations in it’s bores like that. 
It has had the bores  honed and new rings fitted. The marks are just the same. 
Compressions are good and no smoke or excessive use of oil. 
Engine works well. 

Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD