The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London to Brighton Veteran Car Run
I fully agree with Reckers about comments on this accident when not knowing all the facts and seeing all the evidence I also agree that possibly a re test of older people may improve driving. If you are up to standard then you have no worries.
What I find is amazing is that there is no medical checks to see if you are up to scratch. I gave up my licence to drive due to being now only partially sighted. I was amazed that my optician having tested my eyes and had to inform me that my eyesight was not good enough to drive (I already had stopped driving because I new this without the eyesight test) was prevented from informing DVLA and it was up to me to inform them. I wonder how many drivers do not notify the authorities. Particularly people who have mobility problems.
I know the courts have the power take driving licences away from drivers but once you are before the court in most cases the damage has been done.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(06-11-2019, 10:02 AM)David Stepney Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 04:21 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 04:00 PM)spannerman Wrote: ... bringing
A driving test when you get to 65 years old is a good thing,
the ones i find are against it are some of
The worst drivers on the road ?

I would welcome the introduction of compulsory re-testing, say every five years, for all drivers, not just those over 65. It might remove, or at least wake up, the majority of drivers on the road. Sadly the present examination system couldn't cope with the volume of tests (and re-tests) that would ensue - it's never going to happen.

Couldn't agree more!
People need to stop texting and looking at phones, laptops, tablets etc. whilst they are driving. Have you ever been following a perfectly normal looking vehicle on an A road, travelling at the correct speed when suddenly it slows to 30mph and starts wandering? On a busy motorway like the M25 as soon as the traffic builds and the speed drops to around 55mph, out come the mobiles and heads drop to look at them. Hands free seems to make little difference. In the aviation world proper training is given and tested to make sure pilots can fly the aeroplane and operate the radio at the same time. I know that this is beginning to happen with the modern test re satnav operation, but more needs to be done and soon.
It seems that when ever there is an accident involving an older driver there are calls for all older drivers to be tested; despite the fact that most serious accidents involve young drivers. If we are to be subject to more testing, then age should not come into it.

We have no idea as to the facts and circumstances surrounding this tragic collision so (in my opinion) speculation is pointless. All we can say is that it shouldn't have happened.
I was a marshall on the LtoB in Sector 15 on Sunday. I had the good fortune to spend the 20 minutes before our Sector got the flag to move off, speaking to Ron and Billi a delightful couple from Calgari, Canada.
We shared stories of long distance road trips we had both made, they in many different kinds of vehicles, mostly pre 20's. They were obviously experienced travellers and had completed the LtoB 3 times previously. They were late entrants this year and consequently were out of position in Sector 15. In the few minutes before setting off another Knox runabout passed to its position in Sector 14, Ron and Billi knew them and they exchanged waves. The second Knox had a name on the side "Old Porcupine", a common nickname for this model due to the many spines attached to the cooling system which dissipate heat. Ron and Billi's car had no such name on it.
The car has an occasional seats at the front which fold up when not in use, we joked that the occupants would the first at the scene of any accident (fate would prove otherwise in this instance) As the "Leave Now" board came around I wished them good luck on the journey and expressed the hope to see them sometime on the road. I may have been the last person outside the car to speak to them, which has been a very sobering thought.
I had talked about the car to Ron, he showed me the various mods made to assist the car deal with modern conditions and the age of the driver, self starter, improved carburation, excellent brakes, it appeared that the car was in really good mechanical condition. They were warmly dressed and had the items necessary for a journey of that length in the conditions prevailing.
Later on Sunday I read about the accident and thought it must be the the second Knox, because it was reported as involving "Old Porcupine", however late on Sunday it became evident that it was the in fact the Carey's who had suffered the misfortune. I have been in touch with the organisers and am relieved to be able to report that Billi, who was airlifted to St.George's hospital, was discharged within two days and is now staying with friends in London.
I will make no comment on the circumstances of the incident, as has been said until all the facts that can be know are known, speculation is just that, speculation and there is enough of that swilling about in the political arena to fill even the largest vessel. A lovely couple doing what they loved amongst friends and acquaintances, that it should end in that way is sad and distressing. As Sgt Philip Esterhaus of Hill Street Blues would say "Lets be careful out there"!
Here's one when was the last time any of us
Read a hiwaycode book ?
Mine was last year on a badboy speeding
Course!
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
I hope people will not think this is being smug but although I haven’t driven for the past 3 years (my eyesight is now not good enough) Having driven from the age of 17 to 71 I never got any driving convictions. This I put down to when driving giving all my concentration to the job in hand driving. In my opinion something that is now lacking with many many drivers of all ages.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(08-11-2019, 06:38 PM)spannerman Wrote: Here's one when was the last time any of us
Read a  highwaycode book ?
Mine was last year on a badboy speeding
Course!

I often refer to the Highway Code. 

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/

https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/highwa...oad-safety

http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uploads/3...-12-04.pdf

I prefer the bottom one of these three, but the information is all the same.
Nice words Jack.
Thank you Jack for a very reasonable and factual account of this sad happening.

Shows the folly of reporters jumping to conclusions.
I've driven my 36 Ruby on motorways quite a lot, and have generally felt safe.
The trick is to stick to the inside lane, and to big yourself up.
Mine is a hot rod, though, and can cruise at 56 mph, which avoids irritating the lorries. It must have been very challenging to drive on a motorway with a much lower cruising speed.