The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake lever cotters
Interestingly, the new "concentric" cotter shown below has its thread on the centre line of the full diameter. 

I assume this is a design Y cotter from the first post, which is the form of some new stock in our spares ?

The final picture showing a design Y cotter in a new brake lever would suggest the new lever could have the cotter hole a fraction low. Some new levers we have taken into spares tock recently are also a very loose fit on the cam shaft.

In comparison to the original Longbridge build parts there are a number of possible error points- the cam shafdt cotter recess, the lever cotter hole position, cam shaft hole diameter in the lever the incorrect cotter form.
(23-10-2019, 10:18 PM)Tony Press Wrote: Interestingly, the new "concentric" cotter shown below has its thread on the centre line of the full diameter. 

I assume this is a design Y cotter from the first post, which is the form of some new stock in our spares ?

The final picture showing a design Y cotter in a new brake lever would suggest the new lever could have the cotter hole a fraction low. Some new levers we have taken into spares tock recently are also a very loose fit on the cam shaft.

In comparison to the original Longbridge build parts there are a number of possible error points- the cam shafdt cotter recess, the lever cotter hole position, cam shaft hole diameter in the lever the incorrect cotter form.

Yes, it's the Y cotter - which actually seems to snug in and lock up correctly (once subjected to the essential "fitting" exercise of course). I think that some of the parts I have exhibit all those possible errors you mentioned. What is almost certain to have happened is that suppliers have copied - badly - already incorrectly made items. One wonders if any maker of these and other parts have ever taken the trouble to get hold of original items from an unrestored car and carefully measured and record everything - and then undertaken the production of proper engineering drawings. Even then, post-production quality checking is essential as tolerances do have a tendency to drift as a batch goes through.
One of the upsides of Austin ownership is the availability of spares at low prices.
One of the downsides has been the variability of spares quality, although in my mind its now better than 30 years ago.
I agree on the availability but the quality can be a worry when the items supplied are what our insurer calls 'at risk' items-particularly braking and steering spares.

If an accident occurs (heaven forbid)- the possible blame could be placed on faulty items which we as a Club are responsible for supplying.

When a new spare part is fitted by an experienced club-member many manufacturing problems can be overcome but often the fitting is by a member who is not well versed in the engineering requirements and problems can occur. 

Not sure what the UK requirements are but here our insurer requires us to take great care in supply of 'at risk' items.  We only sell to our club members- it would be much more of a problem it we supplied the general public.
New parts are almost all supplied commercially, not via an Austin Club over here.
I'm always impressed by the Club spares set up that you have down under. Is the Club still making blocks Tony? If so, what do they sell for these days? (I know that they're only sold to members, so just curious)

Charles
I assume all those commercial suppliers have an at risk goods insurance - or isn't this thought necessary in UK.

Thank you- yes our Club Spares arrangement is excellent (but we always need to carefully check any manufactured or bought  in 'at risk' items)

We are slowly progressing manufacture of new Austin 7 blocks- as Tony knows not a cheap job.

[Image: Spares%20Shop.jpg]
What is your exact role in the procurement process please Tony?
As a committee member responsible for the Club actions.
Perhaps you could consider running some instructional classes which encourage the practice of fitting over bashing.

If you have real concerns over the products being supplied to you I would suggest that it was left to the person in charge of purchasing to speak with your suppliers - rather than you bringing it up on a public Forum.
Ruairidh,

I am disappointed you feel this way. 

You may have never come across the incorrectly made parts but possibly there are some on the forum who unknowingly have and are not aware of the possible problems .

We have also approached the greatly appreciated Austin Seven reproduction part suppliers who may not realise that there is a problem.

Of course we try to advise members on the correct fitting practices but with around 400 members some may still not be aware.