The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Electric vehicles
Yes, lets get back to sevens.
Using my newly carbon neutral RP at my nephews wedding in Moreton in Marsh this Saturday (getting back to 7's).
(29-10-2019, 08:48 AM)Andy Bennett Wrote: Tony
I do think that, in following the science, rather than politicians like Trump signing out of climate agreements to save his job, we do have a global acceptance of the link between CO2 levels and global temperatures/climate change (accepting that there are lots of different types of pollution with differing impacts).

The actual percentage isn't relevant, calling it a trace gas to suggest it is irrelevant is daft, its the change that matters and CO2 has increased by about 50% since the start of the Industrial Revolution. Temperature graphs map CO2 levels. We don't need to increase CO2 levels to grow plants, the earth has managed to grow plants without us messing around. What we need is a stable level and what we are doing at the moment as humans is adding rapidly to the levels. The result is not good. That is one thing science does agree on, even f it is as they say an inconvenient truth to many politicians.
Perhaps we should get back to Austin 7s...
Andy

Indeed, down this route are some serious disagreements! Back to Sevens and their foibles - enough to keep any sane man occupied 24/7.

.jpeg   C22FFEF8-8F3A-4D75-BE16-BD7E92783441.jpeg (Size: 176.35 KB / Downloads: 503)
.jpeg   28680B6C-1F9B-4847-B819-782064EB181C.jpeg (Size: 170.22 KB / Downloads: 505) Very interesting article that Ken Cooke posted on FB. Ken spotted , some Austin Seven related, by way of Rosengart,  an electric power train fitted just prior to WWII.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
The Rosengart motor was at the NEC show a year ago.  I wrote it up in Rumblings for the 750MC Bulletin:

.jpg   elec motor.JPG (Size: 66.8 KB / Downloads: 480)
And how many AA batteries ?  Big Grin
This turned up yesterday....

Photo 
Perfect conditions for your electric car. Ten hours stuck in a snow-bound traffic jam.
Grandad. What do we do when that happens in the other grandad's new electric car - and the battery goes flat? Will we freeze to death?
No, you go and sit in a car with a diesel engine that can tick-over for 24 hours and use only a few of litres of fuel.
How will the electric car start when the snow is cleared?
It won't, you'll need towing out.
Will that be expensive?
Probably. Very.
How will we find a charging point in the run-down French garage to where we are towed?
You won't. You'll have to be towed to one somewhere else.
Will that be expensive?
Yes. Very.
Will our charging card work in the charger thing in France? The last two Grandad tried, it wouldn't.
Almost certainly not.
What will we do?
You'll be able to stay in a hotel while grandad shouts loudly down the phone again at the people who supplied the card.
Will the hotel be expensive.
Very.
Will grandad be able to afford it?
Probably not, but grandma always has a spare credit card.
How long will all this take?
Two or three days, I suppose.
But we'll miss three days skiing out of seven.
I know. It's terrible. I told him to take the Diesel Volvo 4 x 4 but he wouldn't listen. Said something about saving the planet.

[Image: Trafficinsnow.jpg]
The Jaguar came to us directly from the press fleet offices for some film work, fully charged with a claimed 230 mile range.
There was a lot of hanging around and the driver used the heater and radio while waiting. When it came to leave at the end of the day the car had done 43 miles and there was slightly less than half charge left.
(14-10-2019, 09:41 AM)Bruce Nicholls Wrote: Interesting topic. This week end I had a visitor who as a motoring correspondent road tests many cars. He set out from Heathrow where he picked up the £70,000 E.V. (200 mile real range) and drove to Bath where he stopped overnight with friends. Here his problems started as he was not able to make a satisfactory connection to their household supply and therefore did not get a full charge. However he set out from Bath heading for us in South West Wales with about 50% in the battery at about 10 am with theoretically nearly enough to make it thinking he would top up on the M4. However with a lack of working fast chargers en-route he eventually turned up 6 hours later. I could have done it quicker in the A7.

The bonus came when he was able to leave it overnight at the local Tesco who had fortuitously just installed a charge point and get a full charge for free!

He left us heading across country for Shrewsbury where I assume he arrived. My conclusion is therefore that they are not yet really practical for longer trips.

The car here was an I Pace from the press fleet.