The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Brake Cam Lever. cotter pins & bushes
(16-10-2017, 05:43 PM)seajayare Wrote: If I do manage to get the cams and levers apart is the bush a straightforward thing to replace or do you need a press and reaming tools?

Most of the can bushes available now are oilite - these should not be reemed, I use the the old brake cam as a drift to drive them in and then fit the new cam in its place.

Some rear axles were originally fitted with thin bushes which are no longer available (so far as I know), I have always drilled these out to suit the thicker and more common bushes.

With reference to the cotter removal. I have always found it easier to remove with the hubs complete with brake shoes and drum in place. I have a long (2-3’) drift into the end of which I have drilled a shallow hole. This is placed snugly over the threaded end of the cotter (with nut removed), after which a very sharp strike with a lump hammer usually sees the thing come out like a Polaris missile across the workshop floor, never to be seen again! The length allows for ease of access in tight space and also a clean strike away from bodywork and wheels etc. The hole prevents it slipping off.

With reference to the cotter nut orientation I believe factory drawings of the semi girling system show the front cottrrs have nuts rearward (not sure from memory of the rear orientation on this system) and I have always been led to believe that Austin brakes are front cotter nuts forward and rear ones facing rearwards.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brake Cam Lever. cotter pins & bushes - by Ruairidh Dunford - 17-10-2017, 11:59 AM