Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parts needed
Hi

Can anyone supply the following parts for an Austin seven?

Camshaft and followers. The can is for reprofiling so the condition is not critical as long as it is recoverable.

Flywheel  must be in good condition

matched set of crank and cam drive gears in good condition

Main bearing retaining plate for the crankshaft.

Best wishes
Shane
The timing gears come in different sizes to match your crank case. The distances between the cam and crank differed by a few thou on each crank case (I think due to inaccuracies in machining) so there should be a number stamped on top, near that end (+2, -1 etc) and then the gears are stamped to match.

Do you mean the rear main carrier, or a front main lip repair plate? I have one of the latter.
Hi Geoff
Thanks for the info I am fairly new to the scene but learning fast. I will check for the size. 
It is the rear main I need not the lip repair plate.
Once again many thanks for the input.
Best Wishes
Shane
May I suggest a new plate with lip seal as supplied by many of our cherished suppliers. In my view it is a better solution than the original type with a felt seal.
Robert Leigh
Thank you for your advice Robert
I also used a new plate with lip seal as Robert recommends so I have the original spare if you did decide to go with that. The new ones are not expensive though.
Do you need a camshaft with petrol pump eccentric, or the earlier type without this?
Robert Leigh
Hi Robert

It is for a single seat special and will be using an electric pump. However, the block and crankcase are 1935 and 36 so I assume the later camshaft would be the one. Excuse my lack of knowledge I am new to this. Are there any other differences other than the fuel pump drive?

The camshaft and followers will be sent to Paul Bonewell to reprofile to suit a race engine.

Best Wishes

Shane

Hi Robert

It is for a single seat special and will be using an electric pump. However, the block and crankcase are 1935 and 36 so I assume the later camshaft would be the one. Excuse my lack of knowledge I am new to this. Are there any other differences other than the fuel pump drive?

The camshaft and followers will be sent to Paul Bonewell to reprofile to suit a race engine.

Best Wishes

Shane

The other thing which differs according to year is the rear camshaft bearing diameter, but the bearing can be swapped to fit the shaft if neccessary. Paul Bonewell has a good reputation, so I think he is the right man.
Robert Leigh
Please check your PM box; I sent you a message. As well as camshaft differences there are flywheel differences which depend on the type of clutch you want to use.
Robert