The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Sump Leak
I am trying to get the sump oil tight, I have installed a silicone gasket but the oil seems to be coming through the thread of the bolts holding the sump on, so the question is are the threaded holes in the crankcase meant to be blind and if not how to stop this leak?

I thought that maybe at the next oil change I would remove the offending bolts, clean the threads and stick a little silicone sealant on the threads any other ideas?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Cheers

Mark
That's what I would do Mark. Just be careful not to use to much. I am also wondering if by tightening the offending bolts a little the silicon gasket would spread a little up to the bolts and seal them.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Try a fibre washer.
Fibre washers, or dowry washers. Get rid of those spring washers, it seeps through the split.
In the photo you've posted Mark there appears to be quite a lot of oil wash on the underside of the crankcase. Could some of that be contributing to your problem?
If memory serves me aright, the sump bolt holes are not blind. Fitting the proper lozenge-shaped washers usually deals with any leaks from the sump. As noted above, spring washers allow oil to leak past them and therefore should not be used.
I use studs, Loctited into the crankcase and then use nuts.
I've never liked the use of bolts into aluminium for parts that may need to be regularly removed.

Charles
Me too, Charles.

Steve
Guys, when I fit a sump I "hope" not to have to remove it at all, let alone regularly.
(01-09-2019, 07:36 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Guys, when I fit a sump I "hope" not to have to remove it at all, let alone regularly.

What about cleaning the gauze filter?