The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non- transferable Registration numbers
On another thread running at the moment, a side discussion is building up around non-transferable registration numbers. Rather than confusing that thread, I thought I would start a new one, specifically to discuss this topic. I will start off straight away by saying that I am strongly of the opinion that original registration numbers should be able to be made non-transferable at the owners discretion but I am also under the impression that the DVLA will not do this. 

A couple of people, Tony Betts and Ivor Hawkins, have suggested they have been able to achieve this and I'd really like to know how they did it. Has anyone else managed to do it? Would you be prepared to share your approach? Of course, this only relates to original registration numbers. As I understand it, age-related registrations the DVLA issue, do come as non-transferable..
Does in not become non-transferable if the original plate has become subject to an appeal to re-instate i.e where DVLA continuous history has lapsed?
A car I bought that had a personal plate the previous owner was retaining had its original number returned and that was noted as non-transferable on the documents.
Good question Hugh, the number on mine is the original and was made non transferable when a new log book was issued to the previous owner, so I can’t take the credit for doing it, but I’m glad he did.
I posted this in the other thread, but I'll re-post it here:

As far as I know, there is no easy facility to alter a registration number to non-transferable state. I managed it with one of my cars, but it was a risky strategy that I would not recommend as a secure way of doing things. What I did was I transferred another number to the car without securing the retention of the original number, then put the new number on retention and asked for the original number to be re-instated. It worked, and the original number was re-issued on a non-transferable basis; but this was some years ago when the local DVLA offices were around and I could talk to an official with some understanding and sympathy for the procedure. I'm not sure I would like to attempt the exercise today.

As others have said, if there has been a lapse in the records, and the original number can be proved to belong to the vehicle, then DVLA will re-issue the number on a non-transferable basis (my present Seven was off the road since 1961 and the registration documents had not been updated, but with the evidence of the original RF60 log-book the original number was re-issued in this manner). Similarly, if an age-related number is issued, then that too will normally be issued on a non-transferable basis (I say normally, because DVLA have been known to issue an age-related number without making it non-transferable, but I believe this is just down to a clerical error and not some elusive policy decision).
Thanks Mike, looking at my paperwork, mine is definitely a case outlined in your second paragraph, as there was a lapse in records, the car being off the road for such a long time.
If a non transferable number was issued to a vehicle, does anyone know whether it can be replaced with a cherished plate or preferably if obtainable, the vehicles original number., or does non-
transferable mean that it is perminent ?
(27-05-2020, 10:09 AM)Peter Clayton Wrote: If a non transferable number was issued to a vehicle, does anyone know whether it can be replaced with a cherished plate or preferably if obtainable, the vehicles original number., or does non-
transferable mean that it is perminent ?

Yes. You can replace a non transferable number (such as age related) with a plate bought on the open market, subject to the usual rules about not making the vehicle look younger.
The discarded "non-transferable" plate goes back to DVLA.
I know of a car where this was done after the owner of the old car with an age related number bought the original plate back from the owner of the much more modern "host".

c
I guess then that a Q plate car could obtain a plate of period authentic appearance in that manner which might solve a problem or two for some special builders?
Black Art Enthusiast
(27-05-2020, 10:12 AM)Charles P Wrote: Yes. You can replace a non transferable number (such as age related) with a plate bought on the open market, subject to the usual rules about not making the vehicle look younger.The discarded "non-transferable" plate goes back to DVLA.

Yes, that's correct. I've done exactly that except that I had the number on retention rather than buying it. 

Steve

(27-05-2020, 10:29 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: I guess then that a Q plate car could obtain a plate of period authentic appearance in that manner which might solve a problem or two for some special builders?

No. The Q plate is intended indicate the provenance of the car is not straight forward i.e. a car built up from parts of different make and/or age or whatever. A change to a period plate would disguise that. If you've got a Q plate, you're stuck with it unless you can convince the DVLA of anything different. That would be quite a challenge.

Steve