The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
OLD 7 Special Reg GN312
Photo 
GN312 - Anyone know her ???

Sorry to ask, but I have this old 7 Special which I bought from a A7 Dealer in Croydon May 2016, its a full on resto and are getting through it slowly. Every time I work on the car, I wonder about its history, who made it and what he did.... its a interesting build with the removable headlights, nice ali body over tubing etc... the chassis is standard from what I can see - the dash is a old street sign ... I was told when I bought it, it came down from Scotland ! any info is really much appreciated..

OK seems Im missing something why my images wont display !!! 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UDJ76QdRQryjibTe8

Many thanks in advance

Matt
Hi Matt,

Well, it's not on the DVLA Database nor on the A7CA Chassis Register under GN 312. GN registrations were introduced in London in December 1930, the first registration issued in January 1931 being GN 141. Sadly all the old London registration records have been destroyed, some during the blitz. It may be worth keying its chassis number into the A7CA Chassis Register (link below) to see if it shows up under a different registration. The fact that it's not on the DVLA Database might suggest that it hasn't been taxed and on the road since at least the late 1970's and probably earlier.

http://a7ca.org/chassis-register/
nice looking car. I was going to suggest I'd seen something with David Wilkinson's website in the past, but that looks like you might have that link already?
A little "Speedexish" from certain angles. I quite like it!
Please post further photos of current work / when finished.
Looks like an AC Delco distributor cap? Are they common?
Great project!
David
Can't help with the history Matt, but cracking special!
What are your plans? Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Tom
Thank you everyone for the feedback.... I'll certainly check out the vin and see if that comes up with anything ... yes, it was David I bought the car from, I had space at the May '16 Auto jumble Beaulieu and David was opposite ... had all weekend to look at the car :-) never planned on buying a 7 haa haa haa he guessed that quite quickly :-)

I would love to enter into some pre-war hill climbs - that's the ultimate goal....

Todate Ive had the engine rebuilt, now I need to start on cleaning up the chassis and making a few modifications, plan to install a new wiring loom and leave the body as is.... And in the meantime try and get papers which is proving a little difficult not being on the DVLA db..

Living in Belgium any papers would do ! :-) OHHH and talk about the wrong country to move to if interested in hill climbs :-)

Cheers
Matt
nothing on the A7CA Registrar !

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what my car started out as ? its chassis number Chassis Number 126169 I'm guessing not as Jeff mentions lots of the records being lost...

Many thanks Matt
it was built late 1930 - a B2 series car, so you have access to Gaydon records as that book is lost. (B1 and B3, which starts just into 127xxxs, exist!)
Hi Jon,

Many thanks for the reply, but should that read haven't access to Gaydon Records, if the book is lost then surely ...

what a pity !

Regards