The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Brookfields Special
That's looking good, progress indeed, crack on!
Hi All

Had a really good few days and the Swiss cheese car is no more.

Although I covered the roof of the RK with Everflex vinyl a couple of years ago I hadn’t realised how difficult fabric covering is, especially on the double curvature sections on the rear deck.  I still have some wrinkles (don’t we all Big Grin) but I think I can live with them.  Next job is to fit the doors properly which may be problematic as they are now a tight fit. The edges have two layers of fabric on them which adds more than I thought to the size.

Then I guess I need to start engine building!

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   A2898A04-EB89-4007-A827-C44111EB3376.jpeg (Size: 130.39 KB / Downloads: 536)
I am starting to 'covet' the car, Howard. Keep up the good work!
Very nice, young Harold (I mean Howard)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn5y1LtjoMI
You mean you haven't got the engine done yet? I say!
That aside it's looking very tidy indeed.
Hi All

Just a quick update and a question regarding mudguard clearance.

I’ve mounted the lights on the scuttle and spent ages beating aluminium to form the mudguards (and yes Duncan I did use filler).

I’ve also sprayed all the internal floor panels.

The front mudguards are attached to the hubs via three, 3/8” tubes bolted to the brake backplate holes (opened up to take 1/4” countersunk bolts).  I’ve left a good 3” clearance here to allow for any mud build up.

The rear guard is propped in position to let me see how it looks while I devise suitable supports. I’ve allowed about 7” above the tyre.  Is this enough?

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   D2A262AA-149F-41AC-9D1B-7DF2E2998AD2.jpeg (Size: 121.48 KB / Downloads: 407)
Looking really good Howard! I'm full of admiration!
Regards, Ashley
I'm very impressed Howard, that looks excellent, despite the use of f***er!
Re. the clearance I'd think 7" is adequate but have you checked the full travel of the suspension?
Re the front wings.  I had replaced my Nippy front wings (which I thought would act like very effective parachutes...especially over 70 mph) with cycle type, like yours.  During trials or even on just road work there was a huge amount of muck sprayed up and back.  Ask the wife about her face mud pack on our very first trials hill!!!!.
I extended the back edge of the wings (or mudguards to give them their rightful name) as far down as I dared hoping they would not snag any lumpy ground/stones when trialing.........still nice face mud pack because of course the sprey misses the guards when steering on lock either side of dead ahead!  Next stage was a triangular infill with the point attached part way up the guard and base fixed to lower stay.....much better but not perfect.  Then added rubber (inner tube) extensions on bottom......much better....but not pretty!
Looking at your set up do not expect the wife to last longer than perhaps the second hill......or wonder why you run out of friends to accompany you  Big Grin

.jpg   Nippy ATR 860 1989.jpg (Size: 162.6 KB / Downloads: 302)

They are 15 inch wheels for road use....but used the 19" on trials.

Dennis
Hi Dennis

Thanks for this.

Liz has already claimed that her dodgy hip and OCD tendencies will mean that she won’t be seen dead anywhere near a trial hill  Huh.

Your Nippy looks the business and I see what you mean about the front mudguards. However I’ve taken a cue from historic trials cars and my front guards are attached to the hub and move with them.  Having said that they are a bit skimpy and may have to be beefed up.  Guess it’s a question of “TRIAL” and error (groan!)

Cheers

Howard