The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Brookfields Special
Needs lower suspension in my book
I'm with Charles. By the time you get tyres on the thing it'll look very top heavy (early racer style) and might feel like you're sitting on top of a step ladder. I would seriously consider it though, it'll handle so much better. Lowering may well open up another can of worms , as it looks like the back end will need to be modified to allow for rear axle vertical movement.

The cabin looks like it might get even more cramped once you get a backrest upholstered. Have you thought of allowing a little more room? Don't be afraid to compromise. Well done so far!
Thanks Charles and Reckless

Yes I've had lots of comments along similar lines.  The four reasons why I haven't lowered it so far are....

1 The original idea was for it to be a trials car.

2 I quite like the "early racer" look.

3 As Reckless says lowering the back complexes the situation.  For example it would leave no room for a spare wheel and I don't want one sat on the rear deck!

4 I am trying to keep the budget down and I don't have the pennies to lower the car at this stage. 

Perhaps its the last of these that is really holding me back  Undecided

As for adjusting the seat back. There is a steel cross member just about the level of my middle back, the removal of which would mean a complete rebuild! As it is I'm OK with the seat position and there is room for a bit of padding.  Laterally though it is a bit tight especially for an energetic bouncer! No tighter than your average Ulster though!

As an aside I've made an offset brake pedal top that, along with the blister on the side, now gives acceptable room in the pedal department as long as I'm not wearing heavy boots!

Cheers

Howard
The foot bulge does look good. As for the "filler or not" question I'm 100pct fine with it. There's the old question of time vs money vs quality, and with special building there's the skill vs finish vs pride in doing it yourself to ponder as well. Its a hobby, we only have to please ourselves. We're not serving five year apprenticeships before working on aircraft or Rolls Royces.

It looks great, and the most important questions are "did you enjoy it" and "are you pleased with it"?

...and being a special you can always say "that will do for now, one day I'll do the upgrade" (and sometimes people even do).
"As an aside I've made an offset brake pedal top that, along with the blister on the side, now gives acceptable room in the pedal department as long as I'm not wearing heavy boots!"

I sometimes drive my RP over to my horses in Wellintons! That can be fun.

Your special looks as if it is coming on well.
Hi All

I’ve been doing some work on the dashboard and instruments this week (as well as re-spoking) the wheels.

One problem came up with the SM5 switch box. One of the contact plates at the bottom of the levers had broken and half was missing.

The last photo shows a replacement I made up.  It’s a piece of brass plate with round head brass screws silver soldered in place.  I haven’t tested it yet but it feels OK.

Cheers 

Howard

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_0995.jpg (Size: 91.12 KB / Downloads: 564)
.jpg   IMG_1015.JPG (Size: 48.05 KB / Downloads: 562)
.jpg   IMG_1016.JPG (Size: 57.73 KB / Downloads: 561)
Looks just the job!
If you were going to lots you could invest in one of these!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-PRO...2620664818
Hi Duncan

Mmmmm.  If.

The brass cost pence, I had the brass screws and silver solder (ready fluxed too!) so the repair was a lot less than £150.

I rather envy the set though.  There is something about a nice set of tools in a wooden box!

Anyway much less glamorous work today.  Sealing the tank with Por 15.

Cheers

Howard
Hi All

I’ve moved the car from its summer shed to the garage so I can work in slightly more comfort over the winter.  It does mean that the RK is covered under the canopy (in the background of the pics)

I’ve also removed the body in preparation for some chassis, back axle and spring work over the next weeks.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   DBBFE8DD-4A01-4C27-B1CD-36A7C873E1B3.jpeg (Size: 132.34 KB / Downloads: 350)
.jpeg   305CCB52-8E5E-4116-9733-C07A429E348C.jpeg (Size: 163.44 KB / Downloads: 349)