The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rabbits
We are on the last day of our holiday in Northumberland and during a chat over dinner in the Ship Inn last nigh I decided to do a little research into the buildings.
To my amusement this appeared in a National Trust paper i turned up:

The food shortages of the war resulted in many fields being ploughed which had not been ploughed before (or at least within anyone’s memory). Horses were still used to plough during the war, but gradually small tractors came into use with two furrowed ploughs. (ibid) 

One night after cutting round and round the bog field, we had all of the rabbits in the middle. A good few villagers came and we caught over two hundred and fifty. The rabbit catcher put them into his Austin Seven car after giving one to everyone there. Then, him and Mr Gregory, the farmer, went to the “Ship Inn”, got drunk, went home to Seahouses and forgot to take them out. In the morning they were all gone.
They are still at it in Seahouses. I had my modern broken into a few years ago whilst visiting the Farne Islands!
What a lovely story. Just how many rabbits can you fit in an Austin Seven? A variation on the 'how many balloons are in the car' competition perhaps.

Peter.
I want to know how they got out...
Hence the Old Northumberland saying.
Diven store yeh rabbits in an Austin Seven pickup truck henny lad.
Hi Duncan
Another few miles and you could have crossed the Border to Coldingham.

Are you Pembletoning?

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Back home now, driving a modern as we had our granddaughter who needs a child seat...
Shades of Wallace and Grommtit.
Big Grin
.jpg   Rabbits.jpg (Size: 182.76 KB / Downloads: 187)
Alan Fairless
The curse of the "why aye" rabbits...