The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange noises from rear end.
I have been trying to locate the source of continuous EXCESSIVE  creaking from the o/s rear of the RP.  I have been under the car and looked for the obvious but to no avail.  The rear spring would appear to be well greased. I did wonder whether it could be the shock absorber breaking up though it looks ok. Has any one experienced similar and 
managed to cure it ?
I haven't had a creak, but I did have a knocking noise from the off side rear on rough roads when I first had my RP. It was particularly noticeable when going up and down the forest track that leads to my house. I checked all the usual things. I changed the rear shock absorber links as the bushed were worn. I rebuilt the rear shock absorbers as they were doing very little and discovered that the brass discs were missing. Checked the rear body mounting to make sure it was secure and that the floorpan around it was ok. All to no avail!

When i bought my car, the springs had not been lubricated for ages, so I have been in the habit of painting them with old engine oid (with the weight off the axle so that the oil will penetrate between the leaves) every time the car is greased. I have noticed that gradually, the noise has disappeared.

Perhaps painting the rear springs with oil rather than greasing them, so that the lubrication gets in between the leaves may help your funny noise too.
Take the back seat squab out and go for a drive. it could be the body moving on the rear supports.
Thanks Dave, I'll give that a try.  Cheers

Thank for the input Dickie,  I did exactly that this afternoon but still there. Cheers.
Is the chassis outrigger fractured? Is the spring U bolt tight and the end of chassis uncracked?  Is spare wheel drum fractured?
Are screws attaching lower rear panel and floor tight? All rivets associated s.a mount tight?
Thanks Bob, That'll get me out of the housework for a while. Cheers Angry
Creaking can be caused by dry or split damper friction discs.
Thanks R, I'll remove the Damper and check the parts. Cheers.
I thought the creaking at the rear of the ORT was a spring, but found it silent with the door open...
Hi Nick, Well I hadn't considered that but worth trying.  It seems to be further back than the pillar.though. Thanks.