The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
track rod tie rod steering ends

hello folks
I'm looking for the cast ends to the tie rod that connects both sides of the front of the car (1933 special)
and the pins

I'm changing up to a tubular front and need to create the four bar links from the main hangars at the axle back to the chassis

can anyone advise if these are available? where from? or am i looking at reclaim only
I've seen many specials with them but maybe they were one offs-hope not

ill try to attach a photo
thanks
jeremy
They look like standard Austin 7 track rod ends, all cleaned up and shiny.

I don't know anyone makes them new, but there should be second hand ones around.
Yup. and bush kits cheap too from all outlets.
I like that shiny steering arm! I presume that would be a good safely mod on an original arm, to check easily for incipient damage?

Is that a polished and sculpted front spring leaf?!
Not sure how the two track rod ends attach to the tubular axle but the shocker link looks very fancy !
Seeing the topic has more or less been raised, chrome plating is reckoned to have a deleterious to very deleterious effect on fatigue life, so best avoided for steering arms and the like in high use cars.
Many track rod ends are expanded. Can still use by making oversize pins. Old valve stems promising.
What does grese nipple on the tubular axle serve? Do the radius rods meet in the usual place?
thanks i found some from tony betts

got those too-thanks
and yes it is a polished sculpted item
cheers

its nickle if that makes any difference bob?
the rods meet on the side of the chassis rail

its not my car but i guess the grease nipple goes into the bolt holding the track rod end pin

they bolt through an eye in a large pin that runs through the axle and bolts at the front
Not the bolt, a tubular axle is articulated and as a result this needs to be greased, the articulation is there because radius arms are attached to the sides of the chassis not a central pivot, if the axle was not articulated it would act as an anti roll bar and the car would handle badly.
Black Art Enthusiast
HI All,
Looking At the photo the track rod bolt is able to rotate hence the grease nipple, as the rod end only has one pivot pin  Vertical.
That end of axle is welded solid so any rotational movement must be at the other end.
As Ian has said the axle must have rotational movement and usually not at the point were the track rods meet.

Colin
NZ
Colin I take your point but most modern reproductions such as the one depicted have a fine thread in the spigot onto which the track rods attach rather than the original more complicated design.
Black Art Enthusiast
On the likes of dirt track cars twin tubes are used partly to accommodate some twist. A ball joint at the rear end. The split pin suggests that might be free to turn in axle? In view of the castor tweek method for early Sevens would be a curious arrangement.
Despite the through bolt, is there an inner tube carrying other stub axle? Hence the nipple?