The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portable car lifts
Currently contemplating getting a car lift like the EZ car lift or Quickjack. Has anybody any thoughts or experience with these type of lifts and are they suitable for a 7 (Cambridge)?
Simon
I've bought a scissor lift earlier this year. I fitted channels to it to drive the car straight on.Far easier to work on,and no more crawling on your back.Well worth it.
What do you do if you want to take the wheels off to work on the brakes etc.? The photos I've seen of these scissor lifts don't show underbody access either.
(26-09-2017, 05:51 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: What do you do if you want to take the wheels off to work on the brakes etc.? The photos I've seen of these scissor lifts don't show underbody access either.

The ones I've been looking at sit between the wheels and lift on the chassis with rubber blocks.
(26-09-2017, 05:51 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: What do you do if you want to take the wheels off to work on the brakes etc.? The photos I've seen of these scissor lifts don't show underbody access either.
I also made a cross beam that hooked onto the edge of the channels and used a scissor jack and wooden blocks to raise the car off the ramp.
Access underneath is pretty good for 1/2 of the car, the ramp will raise to 1.2mtr,not high enough to stand (High enough for an open car to clear the upper floor)but ok for a trolley to sit on.
Not sure how to post photo's on the new forum.
I too have considered buying a scissor lift but, on checking the width of even the smallest one on offer I note an Austin 7 will not straddle it, the narrowest one I could find is 42 1/2" to wide for my 37" (ish) Box.
Photo of ramp.This is the standard width one 1050mm or so.Purchased off Ebay SJR garage equipment.He does have some made 900mm wjde if you want to use the outrigger arms as the original ramp.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Another option to the scissor lift:-

http://www.restorationramps.co.uk/
(28-09-2017, 03:05 PM)Austin Carr Wrote: Another option to the scissor lift:-

http://www.restorationramps.co.uk/

There also used to be a ramp version that was all flat and had a judiciously placed vertical pivot point so that as you drove onto it there was a point when enough of the weight of the car was passed the pivot point so that the front lowered itself level onto front legs and obviously the rear raised up level and just required legs locking into place to keep it there.

Dennis
Would you be kind enough to post a link or an item number please as I can't seem to find the one you have or SJR Garage Equipment.
Many thanks
Graham.