The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STEERING COLUMN SPLINE pics

Hi all, started new thread on my steering column as i have now taken pictures. My question, can I recover the original spline , as can be seen mine has been extended which looks a bit horrible and also restricts my driving position. I was thinking may be file down weld then perhaps a dremel to recut , or is that a terrible idea. will the colunm have to be removed ?
looks like a thread on new extention. Des this unscrew or it is a complete column to the box. Your thoughts views and experience appreciated.

Regards Rob RPM
I think rather than trying to re-make the old splines I would consider cutting and shutting it - i.e. use the existing splined end but cut back to base of the 'original' splines and re-weld with an inch or two removed. I would want to know it had been very soundly welded though.
HI RPM,
Personally I would remove the whole steering column and machine off the weld making sure Not to damage the Splines,
Then with the extension removed you will know if the thread has been damaged and carefully cleanup the spline .
If that approach not successful the next option Cut off damaged section and Use the Extension Piece to replace damagedĀ  shaft back to the length required

Colin
NZ
Maybe I'm mis-reading the pictures but it looks to me like the 'old' spline has been cut off rather than sleeved over?
Personally with such a safety critical item I'd phone Tony Betts for a replacement steering column.
That is horrible.

I extended a steering column to ensure that a Bluemels wheel fitted without breaking my knuckles. I added a couple of inches to both the outer (with a sleeve for strength) and the inner ( using a "tongue and fork" type of joint) before welding. Yes, I sacrificed another column in pursuit of my goal so purists may despise me, but it's a better way.

Charles
what wheel is that anyway, Rob? It looks like an earlier 65 wheel, but that would be flat rather than dished. Wouldn't yours have multi wires for the sections of the wheel?
Hi Rob,
You should have about 6 1/2" ( on a Type 65 ) between the column clamp and the back of the wheel.
The steering wheel is not from a Type 65, most likely from an MG.
It looks like a box saloon column extended for the Nippy.
If you want to shorted the column the wheel will sit lower down closer to your knees though.
I understand that later Nippy had a shorter column probably to go with the Frank Ashby wheel.
It could be one of these that has been extended or the more common Box Saloon version.

The section of lower inner column with the weld is not recoverable, you would have to use the section with the full splines and thread cut off and re-welded or preferably brazed with a spigot to support and strengthen.

Or Just drive and enjoy the car as it is.
Appreciated all the comments, suggestions and measurements. I'm very new to the A7, I can confirm that the steering box is an E9 type and the wheel fitted is a flat 17"Bluemels ?. At some stage, I will purchase a Frank Ashby 16"to keep with original spec, JonE noted. Mine is Nippy 36. Perhaps the spline was added to accept the wheel fitted now. Also, how do I know if a new Ashby wheel will fit spline showing? or will the spline be the same as bluemels. Not thought of any of this until you guy's commented.
Think I should wait until I can afford the Ashby Wheel then offer it up to correct position and proceed from there with one of the suggestions given in this thread.
ps Any preference to where I should buy the Ashby wheel, also need a stone guard.
Lighter nights are here...Yea!!.
Thanks All
Rob RPM.
Austin 7 Bluemels wheels have the same splines as standard ones. The lack of dishing in a Bluemels wheel compared to Ashby or a standard wheel means that the longer colum is needed.
If it was my car I'd put a standard column on the 9E box and either fit a standard wheel or Ashby one. Selling the Bluemels wheel would raise a Bob or two.

Charles