The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Just how good should the brakes on my Ruby be?
Another BIG factor is the type of lining that is used, modern brass woven linings are generally meant for the drums on light trucks where you have several tons of mass and servo assisted drums. I've bought more than one Giulietta Alfa with these linings, hopeless in a car weighing 850 kilograms and downright terrifying in a 7 weighing less than half of what one of my Giulietta's does.

My local brake shop re-lines my Alfa brake shoes with a very soft grey 'scooter' lining, in 25 years I've never had brake fade with these and I use my cars lots, long distance and mountain passes, never had any cause for concern and friends who have driven my cars remark how good the brakes are.

Both our single seater 7's are fitted with these soft scooter linings and our updated "Bowdenex" conversions. As Chris noted careful setting up, together with careful balancing of the brakes to ensure that the fronts come on before the rears will pay dividends.

I realize that the single seaters don't equate to a road car in braking mass, however I can get the 450/16 front and 550/16 rear wheels to start locking up on the Tarmac in the new supercharged car with the above set up and that's with less than 75 miles running-in on the new brake shoes.

Aye
Greig

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just how good should the brakes on my Ruby be? - by Greig Smith - 13-02-2019, 08:10 PM