The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vacuum Wiper motor and SU’s
The FZB updraft carb has a vacuum take off 
for a Lucas vacuum motor.

Has anyone used a Lucas vacuum motor with an SU carb ?
If so where’s the best place to make a takeoff?

Alternatively have a quite rare P&H electric wiper motor, ( I’ve never seen another one)
And think I’ve seen it mounted on a period GE photograph?

Anyone else used a P&H wipermotor?

Course I may not take the car out in the rain. :-) anyway !

Regards 

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
(08-02-2019, 05:29 PM)AllAlloyCup Wrote: The FZB updraft carb has a vacuum take off 

Alternatively have a quite rare P&H electric wiper motor, ( I’ve never seen another one)

Regards 

Bill G

Mmmm, an SU on an A7 suggests a tendency towards "pedal to the metal" driving style ( at least, I have a SU on the chummy and that is how I drive it!!) wherever you take off  for the vacuum wiper is likely to be ineffective as that style of driving tends to eliminate any useful amount of inlet manifold depression. I would fit any competent period electric wiper but, if you insist, I would think that using a similar vacuum take off point on the inlet manifold to the original dangly carb arrangement would be as good, or as bad as anywhere else.
(08-02-2019, 09:10 PM)Ian McGowan Wrote:
(08-02-2019, 05:29 PM)AllAlloyCup Wrote: The FZB updraft carb has a vacuum take off 

Regards 

Bill G

Mmmm, an SU on an A7 suggests a tendency towards "pedal to the metal" driving style ( at least, I have a SU on the chummy and that is how I drive it!!) wherever you take off  for the vacuum wiper is likely to be ineffective as that style of driving tends to eliminate any useful amount of inlet manifold depression. I would fit any competent period electric wiper but, if you insist, I would think that using a similar vacuum take off point on the inlet manifold to the original dangly carb arrangement would be as good, or as bad as anywhere else.

A work around this problem for vacuum wipers was to install a small empty air tank in line between manifold and wiper.
Although it is the set up on my RP, th combination of an SU and vacuum wiper is a curious contradiction. (in fairness at the revs then considered normal the pressure drop thru zeniths is also very small. (The restrictive effect of carbs is meaured by the pressure drop in inches of mercury, which is exactly what the wiper does but in strokes per minute/hour!) Fortunately on my car eons ago a manual operating lever had been added, similar later cars. 
When driving moderns in the rain always impressed even cf cars of the 60s.
Even owners of performance cars of the time (Ford 10!) might not be impressed by air tanks. Dunno if they had a manual lever but overtaking tricky without.
I suggest that the 'contradiction' is one of driving style rather than carb type. If your wiper is run from manifold suction inevitably this can go down as well as up. In general 'cruising' on level ground any throttle will be almost shut.

It is worth considering that the optimal place to locate a take-off for wipers may not be the same as for a vacuum advance distributor. I believe the latter are positioned to avoid unnecessary advance when idling at traffic lights.

Bill, have you considered simply tapping into the manifold?
Or perhaps this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SU-carb-1-25...3087937171
Whilst a Lucas 30E vacuum wiper motor works reasonably well on a standard engine with a 22FZB, it's next to useless on a 26Va carburettor.
My Chummy has a SU UBA carb (ex Morris 8) and a box saloon style wiper (Lucas 30G) and this works well. The manifold is made up from copper pipe with brass flanges and the take off is at one end of the manifold.
I'm sure I've got a body for an early-ish SU which has a takeoff on the side of the flange it's self, similar to the type seen on an early inlet manifold. I also have a later combined type manifold with a takeoff about 1-2 inches from the carb flange presumably for a vacuum wiper, I've blanked it off with a screw but it presumably was for a 26VA with vacuum wiper.

Regards 

Bill G
Having an SU on our Chummy I fitted an electric wiper. I have not used it for years, having found Rainex. It disperses the water amazingly well.
Robert Leigh
My 1931 saloon has an SU with a Trico vacuum wiper motor.   In general use turning on the wiper does nothing at all.  However, when you get to the point that you can't see a thing, if you take your foot off the throttle for a split second the wiper will flick back and all is well.    In my defence I would point out that on one of my Coast to Coast Runs, I was able to continue motoring when the modern cars had been forced to stop by the severity of the rain.   It was during that run that I developed the technique of driving with a wash leather in my hand.  There was so much water getting around the windscreen that every few hundred yards I was leathering the inside of the screen, opening the drivers door window, wringing out the leather, closing the window, repeat as necessary.  The cubby holes either side of the dashboard fill with water and are remarkably watertight, when you turn left the water in the RHS one pours out onto your knee.  Driving an Austin 7 in heavy rain is quite entertaining!