The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plan View of Ruby
Odd question, perhaps.

I have been searching for a picture or drawing of a Ruby, showing the car from directly above. I want to be able to see the way that the shell curves and relates to the wings and running boards. I can find plenty of images showing the car from all sorts of angles, bar above.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Jamie.
(08-02-2019, 08:30 AM)Jamie Wrote: Odd question, perhaps.

I have been searching for a picture or drawing of a Ruby, showing the car from directly above. I want to be able to see the way that the shell curves and relates to the wings and running boards. I can find plenty of images showing the car from all sorts of angles, bar above.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Jamie.

Mark 1, or Mark 2?

How accurate and how comprehensive does the information need to be, Jamie?  What do you need it for?
Martin.

It would be for a Mark 1. It does not need to be overly detailed at all. I am still sketching and planning the shell for the special which I wish to build. It will be based on a ruby shell which I have, but which is completely mangled in many places. Seeing how the current shell shapes from above will allow me to do my drawing more accurately.

Regards,

Jamie.
The only picture I have seen of my car from directly above was on Google maps a while back - zoomed in on the car park at work and there it was - but the image is rather small.  Otherwise, sorry, don't have one. Anyone got a drone?

Colin
There's a plan view of a Mk1 Ruby on page 403 of the Source Book.
Ther is a dimensioned plan and elevation body drawing (1087) on Page 426 of the Austin Seven Source Book by Bryan Purves.
(08-02-2019, 01:58 PM)John Cornforth Wrote: Ther is a dimensioned plan and elevation body drawing (1087) on Page 426 of the Austin Seven Source Book by Bryan Purves.

Probably makes no difference, but the drawing on p426 is actually a Pearl Cabriolet.
I take it there isn't a Ruby among the various Austin body drawings - those show plan views. I don't have in my files but doesn't mean there isn't one.
Thank you for the responses.

I regret that I do not have a copy of the Source Book. I confess that the price puts me off, although I have been keeping an eye out for an affordable copy. I can find diagrams and plans of the chassis, but not the shell.

If there is a view of the Pearl, that would be fine as I am hoping to make the car a convertible.

Regards,

Jamie.
This is a quick photo of the dwg in the Source Book.  

I find it interesting to see how straight the sides of the car looks in the diagram - the edges of the wings and running boards all in a line.  This is not so obvious on my car as the front wings have been bent and not completely straightened a number of times over the decades, plus the overall impression of the design is art deco curvaceousness.

Colin

Attached Files
.jpg   Ruby_Dwg.jpg (Size: 144.2 KB / Downloads: 170)