The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DVLA and MoT exemption
I was surprised today to re-tax my 1955 Austin on-line without an MoT and without being asked about substantial modifications. Mine is not modified, but a quick look at ebay and I find a 1973 Land Rover fitted with a V8, but advertised as MoT exempt.

Maybe I am naive to think that DVLA will get anything right.

Has anyone been asked about modifications when taxing 'sevens' without MoT?
This is a mine field, I cannot see anybody who's car is modify will volunteer any information specially to the authorities.
The way DVLA will work it out is they will rely on people reporting modified cars. They will investigate case by case, easier and cheaper in man power.
Taxed mine on line a bit back ? Got letter from DVLA to say car had to be checked
It was checked and said it was OK had no problems , I think that 1 in so many get checked? But don't know the numbers?
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
Taxed the AVJ van on line yesterday - straight through, no questions asked
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
(07-02-2019, 09:27 PM)spannerman Wrote: Taxed mine on line a bit back ? Got letter from DVLA to say car had to be checked
It was checked and said it was OK had no problems , I think that 1 in so many get checked? But don't know the numbers?

As a matter of interest how, was the check carried out?
(08-02-2019, 10:34 AM)Bruce Nicholls Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 09:27 PM)spannerman Wrote: Taxed mine on line a bit back ? Got letter from DVLA to say car had to be checked

As a matter of interest how, was the check carried out?

Arranged an appointment with them as car is stored at work they could come any time in working hours!  Well they came one morning very polite and helpful?
Checked chassis number and asked about what was original as it a special alloy body I rebuilt showed them some photes I had of the car in the 1960 with the alloy body and is in logbook as 2 seated sports ,after a few minutes said it was fine and is OK , did say they had a ratrod day before and that will have to go though sva and will have to be reregisterd ?
I think there's a difference in attitude between cars that are already taxed have an up-to-date V5C (I've never had any issues with one) and cars that are being returned to the road after having been laid up for many years.
I've been running vehicles MOT exempt for 10years+. Never even heard of a check
(08-02-2019, 12:39 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: I've been running vehicles MOT exempt for 10years+. Never even heard of a check

until somebody report you that you have a V8 Chevy engine in your A7 Big Grin
I think mine was checked because it had not been taxed since 1968 ? I was left the remains of the car in a will ! Would rather have my friend back ? I rebuilt the car something like it was when on road it had been used has trials car and hill climber , had to do on a budget as only on state pention . Ive got a lot of skills so it worked out well put a lot of time into skinning the frame with alloy just need a bit of bling on it now !

PS its hard to fit Chevy v8 in 7 without cutting bonnet !