The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Substance to aid hose removal
This might be opening a can of worms but I was wondering if anyone knows of anything that you can put on the radiator hoses to help with removing them at a later date?

Obviously there are lots of things you can use to help get the hoses on (grease, silicone, soap, spit, badger bile, etc). But is there anything that helps when removing them years later? If you search online you get all kinds of suggestions but no definitive answer. It leads me to think there isn't anything that actually works in the long run. 

The most sensible sounding suggestion I heard so far was a smear of Permatex gasket number 2, the sticky brown stuff that never fully sets. The other thought was a smear of brake cylinder assembly grease since it won't attack the rubber.

When looking into it I did decide to buy myself one of those hose removing pick like tools. Looks very handy. Like one of these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-4521/overview/

Simon
never had the problem, a good yank left and right, a bit of a twist and if that don't work, a small screwdriver between spout and hose does the trick.
Being unpressurised do A7s run cooler than normal engines which seem to cook their hoses in place sometimes I wonder?
Try a layer of PTFE tape then push pipe on , have used on racing engines making it better to remove , tape cleans off with wirewool if needed?
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
For what it's worth, if hoses are difficult to remove I would imagine they are pretty ancient and should be discarded anyway.
Like many things,
Do the Opposite first try to push the hose on further while giving a twist.
If you pull a hose it will try to tighten up on the spigot.
If your hose is old and crunch when squeezed just cut them off and replace them.
I buy rad hose in 1/2 metre lengths and cut it to suit my needs.
Boat exhaust rubber pipe works just as well.( the one without wire inside it )
Once it gets to that stage it's probably better replaced, just cut them off.
(06-02-2019, 10:47 PM)jansens Wrote: Being unpressurised do A7s run cooler than normal engines which seem to cook their hoses in place sometimes I wonder?

On a 30C day my car runs at about 80C it would probably be cooler with a water pump but who needs the complication.
Cheers

Mark
I always give coolant hoses a very fine smear of silicone before assembly. Not only does it help with assembly and later removal but it virtually guarantees a leak free joint.
Cylinder wear increases significantly below 80 C. I have fitted a thermostat.
Jim