The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd brush ?
Hello people
Can anyone advise which way to rotate the 3rd brush to adjust the charge.
Regards
          Tim
PS can you get to adjust after fitting the Dynamo
There is a circular band of spring steel, around the body of the dynamo, that is secured by a screw and shaped nut. Remove it. Looking at the rear of the dynamo (i.e. the end nearest you, from which you removed the band, the third brush moves anti clockwise to increase, clockwise to decrease. Move it about an 1/8th of an inch at a time, start the engine to check output on ammeter. Stop the engine and move it again if necessary etc etc.
What should the target charge current be? My Ruby sits at about 2A max with higher engine speeds.
About 8 amps max with no lights or brake lights on. Any more and you'll boil the battery dry and damage the dynamo. Summer charge rate should be about 1-2 amp.
The third brush is the one on the right viewed from above, underneath the dynamo casing and is a bit fiddly to reach. It is held by a screw in the end of the dynamo on the right which needs to be slackened.
I have LED lights and have it set to show 4 Amps max on the ammeter.
Jim
Many thanks for the replies
Just what I needed.
Any details on the LEDs would be good.
Regards
Tim
I got my LEDs here:
http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/
Jim
A bit off topic sorry! 
Do you need to do anything special to put in an LED bulb? If I remember from putting LED bike flashers on my Magnette there were some problems with earth. ......?.
Just a good earth, and make sure they are connected the correct way round!
As this will come up on Search, the 3rd brush described is for the early 4 pole dynamos. 
On the 35A and 35M as fitted originally after about 1932 the 3rd brush is middle brush at top  and is not rigidly clamped.