The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which hill climb please ?
What happened to the idea of posters adding "Location" in their sign-in section?
Location still exists in user profiles Julian - I will ask if this information can be displayed in postings as well...
Thank you for the response everyone. Brilliant information, I think I will try them all in time.
As we are interested in old motor cars and sometimes compete in them, it can be interesting to explore old hillclimb sites and venues. The vital  aid to this is the seminal volume "Motorsport Explorer" published by Haynes, ISBN 987 1 84425 634. A couple of weeks ago, leaving our location in Monmouthshire to visit family in Shropshire, and then attend a staff Christmas party at a station on the Severn Valley, almost in Worcestershire, slight diversions managed to include five locations for hillclimbs, a reference book highly recommended.

The Bard of Bearsden has already commented, but failed to raise the flag for Scottish hillclimbs. Bo'ness has returned for a festival, Doune is still exciting and Fintray generally hosts two events per year. There is of course the magnificent Forrestburn, young and vigorous at barely a quarter of a century old, designed by a creative team and staffed by eager volunteers. A significant proportion of the instigators used vintage and classic cars of which a fair number still participate.

On a personal level, if I could only go to one a year it would have to be Shelsley. Having read father's copy of Bolster's Specials when other kids were scanning Beano or Dan Dare, the ability to go back to the oldest active motor sport site, and watch and hear, and indeed smell the Castrol R from cars that have been going up for so many years is utterly wonderful.

If you weren't bought up on Bolster or haven't seen any before, Chateau Impney can be a very good place to begin to watch hillclimbing. It has very visible screens, high quality well informed commentating and is laid out with thought for spectators as well as competitors. Unconstrained by eligibility conditions, some remarkable machinery being accurate but shameless replicas can be seen and heard, and standing close to the start when the Beast of Turin sets off up the hill, certainly felt as the earth undoubtedly moves.
(18-01-2019, 06:51 AM)Julian Hunt Wrote: What happened to the idea of posters adding "Location" in their sign-in section?

(18-01-2019, 08:34 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Location still exists in user profiles Julian - I will ask if this information can be displayed in postings as well..

I've added location (as entered in the users profile). to the area at the top of the posts see below.
Unfortunately it shows very few people have entered a location so it's not much use at present...

I can't find any way of editing my User Profile to add 'Location', Timothy indeed I can't see any way of editing it at all.

Steve
I have just done mine.

Go to UserCP in the top left hand corner & you can alter it from there using "Edit Profile" also on the left hand side.
Thanks, Mark. Done!

Agree with you that for spectating, Harewood can't be beaten. On a par with Loton for driving as well. Of the hills I do each year, my two favourites as a competitor only beaten by the IoM. Will we see you there this April?

Steve
Looking forward to the IOM Steve.  We are hoping to bring Adam's 7 & a 1956 F3 500 this year.

Currently, both are scattered around the workshop Smile

M
Sorry for the delayed response, thanks Mark for pointing Steve in the right direction.
I'll put a thread up this evening when I have bit more time, to highlight the change and encourage others.
Cheers