The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
"Block relief" - L.M. Williams book
I have hesitated before contributing further to this thread, but there's now plenty of meat to chew upon.

Relieving the block. The diagram is Bill Williams' book is poor, what is required is a smooth radius, as described by Holly Birkett in 1952, so that the incoming gas doesn't stop to rub its bum which gets scraped by the sharp edge. Or something like that, as my father wrote. Definitely a good modification.

Bowdenex brakes. There have been some efforts that have introduced more friction than they should. However, given large radius curves and good cables they work well. Simplicity was so equipped in 1957 and still has them today. I do concede that installing them in a standard production body has its challenges though.

Camshafts. It's interesting that Bob thinks the Williams idea won't work. It reminds me of the bumblebee, when expert aero engineers determined that with its weight, wing area and power it couldn't possibly fly. They forgot to tell the bee though! My father reground scores, if not hundreds, of camshafts in very similar fashion. Sure, the 50 thou grind went through the hardening, but the base circle is lightly loaded any way, and though his earlier shafts were chrome-plated to restore hardness, he seldom did with later shafts, particularly those with only 25 thou off.

Bill Williams' Book. There are so many errors in it that I wonder if he wrote it, or proof-read it. I guess not. He claims to be the inventor of Bowdenex braking then describes the action totally incorrectly. I have a copy annotated by my father (who, I must admit, publicly expressed his disapproval of Bill Williams) with barely a page without comment. It was written in 1958, well after much of the material had been published by the 750MC, written by Holly Birkett, Arthur Mallock, and many others including my father, with no acknowledgement.
As for it being the best of its kind, I guess Alan hasn't read Special Builder's Guide or the Austin Seven companion.

Messages In This Thread
"Block relief" - L.M. Williams book - by JonE - 16-01-2019, 10:41 AM
RE: "Block relief" - L.M. Williams book - by JonE - 16-01-2019, 11:46 AM
RE: "Block relief" - L.M. Williams book - by JonE - 16-01-2019, 02:24 PM
RE: "Block relief" - L.M. Williams book - by Alan - 16-01-2019, 05:15 PM
RE: "Block relief" - L.M. Williams book - by Alan - 17-01-2019, 01:40 PM
RE: "Block relief" - L.M. Williams book - by Alan - 17-01-2019, 08:22 PM
RE: "Block relief" - L.M. Williams book - by Alan - 18-01-2019, 09:53 AM
RE: "Block relief" - L.M. Williams book - by JonE - 18-01-2019, 12:22 AM
RE: "Block relief" - L.M. Williams book - by Alan - 19-01-2019, 11:29 AM
RE: "Block relief" - L.M. Williams book - by Rogerfrench - 19-01-2019, 06:30 PM
RE: "Block relief" - L.M. Williams book - by Alan - 19-01-2019, 07:36 PM