The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Dynamators Gear Wear & Reliability
I didn't realise i'm repeating the exact same issues in Ruairidh's thread (wish i'd read that before i fitted it!!)

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/foru...r#pid14084
Thanks for posting that up Stuart - I have just re-read it all.

My Dynamator is now 3900 miles into use, the electronic distribution a little more at just over 5000 miles, all good.

The worn distributor gear mentioned in Kevin’s post #34 is worth investigating. I am not aware of problems with the Accuspark distributor gears but several have reported issues with that drive gear from another source not being hardened properly causing it to wear prematurely. A chat with your supplier might be prudent.
It should be kept in mind that distributor gears do wear from natural everyday use and that is why all the cherished suppliers hold them in stock.

I have a distributor which was retired from service around 1980, decades before the dyanamator came along with an awful gear. See photos.

Recently my Accusparc distributor was blamed for not producing an ignition spark. Further investigation showed that although the battery charged up to 7.1 volts, as soon as the engine was cranked that voltage collapsed to 4v. A fresh battery solved the starting issue.

My Dynamator has now completed about 2000 miles using Austin gears and no undue wear has been noted.

Generally the traditional causes of fail should be investigated and corrected first.

Yes I am aware of the gear issue with the dynamator, as myself and Ron Sadler and Ruairidh were the first to note the problem. Moving on from that, the community now know to use Austin gears and there should no longer be a continuing failure of timing gears.

Cheers

Roly

Attached Files
.jpg   dizzy1.jpg (Size: 19.83 KB / Downloads: 311)
.jpg   dizzy2.jpg (Size: 38.77 KB / Downloads: 309)
1931 RN, 1933 APD
Wouldn't have been the first time I'd been let down by disappearing distributor gears. I learnt to always carry a spare. And that was nothing to do with the new set up..

I've just fitted a dynamater to a new engine for the Cabriolet (with original gears) and am looking forward to seeing how it performs. I have high hopes...
This maybe the wrong thread but does anybody know where I can get a new gear for the dynamo. The one that drives the distributor gear. Mine is very worn and I am sure it effects the backlash and timing. My car is a Mk1 March 1936 Ruby.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Tony Betts sells them John.
Thanks Ruairidh
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Thanks for all the replies. I spoke to the person who rebuilt the distributor, who in turn spoke to one of our “ cherished” suppliers then rang me back to say”yes we have had lots of problems as the distributor end of the dynamater is out of line. Problems the same on our race car. It would appear to me that the gear is softer than it should be. I think 50yrs as an engineer qualifies me to make that judgment. If the end of the dynamater was wrongly machined damaged gears would be a big problem.
I am pretty sure that Tony Betts has some properly made distributor gears Kevin - hope you get it sorted.
Changing the dizzy drive worm on the dynamator for a lucas part is surely standard practice by now?

Is it unwise to also assume everyone put a gob of grease to lubricate the said worm and gear upon assembly?

Ive got loads of old dizzys in stock with worn drive gears, none of them have ever seen a dynamator, let alone mated with one.