The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fantastic but not cheap
Hi,

Interested to know the background to the Hadley crankshafts and con rods. I'm well aware of the Phoenix products, but this is the fist time I've encountered the Hadley name. Thanks.
Hi IAN,

I can't recall all the dates of when things happened. But here is what I know.

The HADLEY crank is taken from a crank shaft austin originally developed for racing. I beleive austin recorded 7000 revs with a standard crank. And buy adding the counter wheights they recorded 8500 revs.

Peter Pearson took on making these cranks around 25 to 30 years ago, developing them further with Doug kiddy. ( who made cranks for formula one cars inc arrows ). Dougs workshop was in the next village to me. Originally the cranks sold for £1,500 each.

Well DOUG sold out his company to arrow engineering in Hinckley leics. And part of the deal was he wasn't allowed to be involved in this process for a wile. So the cranks had around an 8 year gap were they were not available.

That's were I came in around 12 years ago.

I was developing my own rods with a company, Peter Pearson aproached me about the cranks, and putting them back into production, and making matching rods for them.

Peters first question to me was how much should the cranks sell for? My aproach as I suggested to him is if you are making batches of 10, and all 10 are PRE sold. Why be to greedy. Keep the price down. But if the cranks are going to site idol on the shelf. It's YOUR OWN MONEY and its sitting on the shelf not making a return then they need to sell for a lot more.

DOUG and Peter took the cranks to a new company and started producing. The first batch of just over 10 were all pre sold, and I recall a price of £950.00 as I say around 12 years ago.

Now don't think these are mass production or anything, I think this is only the forth batch ive been involved in. This last batch cost £1,350.00 each.

That's what I charge for the pre orders. I may have one left over to be sold from the shelf it will be priced at £1,500.00 to cover how long it takes to sell.

The HADLEY RODS came from my aluminium sample I was producing, Peter took it to Tony White with other rods that had been made for 1 1/2 cranks. And Tony White had a few on the shelf himself.

I beleive we had 10 different 1 1/2 rods. All were good rods. But we were in the possition were we could compare the advantages of each. And Tony had a half built engine to test the new samples Peter had made.

The Hadley rods are a result of that, and that's why they are so nice. They don't hit the side walls or deck of the crankcase. They fit all Pistons. Thicknesses have not been compromised to fit one particular job.

As for price I had three sets from last years batch, and sold them for £800 a set. I've had the complete batch of 10 this time and made a bit of a saving. So they are being sold at £780 a set.

Thanks Tony.
Here's one you made earlier Tony fitted into a crankcase. Impressive just sat on the bench but looks really good in an engine.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-01-2019, 02:07 AM)UColin Reed Wrote:
(05-01-2019, 09:51 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
(05-01-2019, 09:21 PM)Colin Reed Wrote: HI Tony,
Would recommend the Rods they are TOP END well finished and perfectly Balanced
and happy to enlarge small end to 15mm for me

Colin
NZ

Hi Colin, may I ask what Pistons you are using with a 15 mm small end?

Hi Zeto,

HONDA CB650  59.8 mm
 Cheers Colin
NZ
Hi Colin, that’s well oversize presumably you are using a new block, I can’t image an old block taking a bore that size.
Best Wishes
(06-01-2019, 05:00 PM)Scarlet O\Hara Wrote: Here's one you made earlier Tony fitted into a crankcase. Impressive just sat on the bench but looks really good in an engine.

Is that one of our ( quarry engineering ). Blown Ulster crankcasses as well.

Tony
(06-01-2019, 05:21 PM)Tony Betts Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 05:00 PM)Scarlet O\Hara Wrote: Here's one you made earlier Tony fitted into a crankcase. Impressive just sat on the bench but looks really good in an engine.

Is that one of our ( quarry engineering ). Blown Ulster crankcasses as well.

Tony

Hi Tony, I think it pre-dates the Quarry Engineering crankcases. It is a new casting but I bought it partially machined in about 2005 along with a new casting 10 stud block, 25 stud head and No5 Cozette  - been trying to put it together ever since but keep getting sidetracked with other projects. When do Quarry start making their version?
Super work Gerry!
I'm curious about the oil pump you are using in that motor ??

Aye
Greig
(06-01-2019, 09:12 PM)Greig Smith Wrote: I'm curious about the oil pump you are using in that motor ??

Aye
Greig
Modified Hillman Hunter? They are often used
(06-01-2019, 09:12 PM)Greig Smith Wrote: I'm curious about the oil pump you are using in that motor ??

Aye
Greig

Hi Greig, the pump was bought from Tony Betts some years ago but manufactured by one of his suppliers. The pump uses modern (60'ish) gear pump internals fitted into a custom body. I'm not sure if the pumps are still available but Tony might have more details.