The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fantastic but not cheap
Yes, theoretically they should fit together and be ok. Doesn’t surprise me though. It wouldn’t take much misalignment to create significant imbalance. The guy who does mine Always shows me the assembly running on his machine. Pity he’s just retired and sold his stuff.
Alan Fairless
(01-02-2019, 09:45 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Have any of you dynamically balanced a crank and flywheel separately and then put them together?  The results may surprise you, as they did me.

Don’t think anyone would do that would they? What would be the point?
Balance the crank, fit the flywheel, balance both items, fit the cover, balance all 3, 
mark relative position of all 3 items, the whole lot is then balanced? or am I missing something?
(02-02-2019, 01:17 PM)Alan Wrote: Yes, theoretically they should fit together and be ok. Doesn’t surprise me though. It wouldn’t take much misalignment to create significant imbalance. The guy who does mine Always shows me the assembly running on his machine. Pity he’s just retired and sold his stuff.

I think that is exactly it Alan.

The guy I use does exactly the same, with regards to showing me what he's done and how it measures in, he is my age and the fourth generation to run the firm - the equipment they have is spectacular. He equates their longevity to doing the jobs that nobody else can be bothered to, it has always led to bigger and more lucrative work he tells me.

I would certainly miss them if they closed!
Just some more Hadley Crank stuff.
I bought a Hadley Crank and rods from Tony a few years ago and I have since got hold of a Sand cast Nippy Crankcase.
I am using the Terry Tuned bearing set up which is non standard !!
The front bearings do not have the same offset between the inner and outer race as the stock bearings so I have bought and fitted shims to correct this issue. I also faced off the inside of the front bearing lip to clean it up due the the Nippy Crankcase I am using is a sand cast case which is thicker than a die cast one and a rougher finish.
I have just fitted the front counterbalance weight which has thown up a couple more clearance issues again possibly due to the sand casting.
The balance weight is just kissing the casting flash below the bearing housing adjacent to the sump filter front bolt hole, it is also hitting the outside of the front camshaft bearing housing.
I will be looking at the other counterweights to check for any other issues.
The crankshaft looks to be centered in relation to the centre camshaft bearing.
I will be doing some comparisons with the Die Cast 9E Crankcase that I have access to.
"The front bearings do not have the same offset between the inner and outer race as the stock bearings so I have bought and fitted shims to correct this issue."

?????
I always true up the lightened flywheel on the crank (both sides) to zero runout before balancing as some have 15thou runout. The MJ 11/8 with NMJ 11/8 are the same width and centres as a pair of std thrust bearing or ball and roller set. The sand cast c/cases always need metal removing in various places, as do some of the later cases when fitting 11/2" crank and rods in std c/cases.  Terry    

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)