Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby torque tube
My 1935 ORT is rapidly approaching terminal backlash in the back axle... I've been planning to replace it for about 7 years now with a semi girling one to match the brakes on the front... and think it probably a good idea to do something before I loose forward motion. I'd really like a useable semi girling back axle if anyone has one, but could settle for a mk2 Ruby torque tube (as complete as possible to ensure that I have everything needed for reassembling) I have bits to assemble a complete axle and spare CWP  but the torque tube was modified for different bearings by the p.o.... Any assistance much appreciated.
(17-11-2018, 09:51 AM)Nick Lettington Wrote: My 1935 ORT is rapidly approaching terminal backlash in the back axle... I've been planning to replace it for about 7 years now with a semi girling one to match the brakes on the front... and think it probably a good idea to do something before I loose forward motion. I'd really like a useable semi girling back axle if anyone has one, but could settle for a mk2 Ruby torque tube (as complete as possible to ensure that I have everything needed for reassembling) I have bits to assemble a complete axle and spare CWP  but the torque tube was modified for different bearings by the p.o.... Any assistance much appreciated.

I have a standard torque tube available, but how can I recognise it as a Mk2 Ruby Type? What are the differences? The one I have has an early chassis connection, but I think those are interchangeable. Are you definitely after a Silentbloc type?
Robert Leigh
Thanks Robert... Thats a good point! My chassis has the ball replaced by the silent bloc type mount bolted in but I have another of the connecting thingamybobs with a knackered silent bloc bush... I'll pm you. Does anyone have the silent bloc bushes in stock?
Hi Nick,

Austin 7 Components listed under 'Chassis' section - Ref. 2H1051 - Silentbloc bush for torque tube socket 1936 to '39 @ £22.80 each.

Jeff.
Thanks Jeff

That's great. I know what I want for Christmas now.  Wink

Regards
Nick