The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dish washer in rear hub assembly - is it needed anyway?
(29-10-2018, 01:05 AM)GK5268 Wrote: On my Ruby, I have got sealed bearings all round, at the front, I retained the felt seal & washer, but at the rear, on both sides, the washer prevented the bearing from seating satisfactorily on the inner hub, it would pop out very easily, so I omitted both the felt seal & washer. My outer rear hubs were new and fitted onto new drive shafts. So, my experience, there is a better clamping of the bearing without the washer. It has been like this for over 3 years now and I had to take it all apart this summer as part of other work and I thought I would revert back to re-fitting the felt seal & washer, but it just did not fit as well, so back it went again without - perhaps the sealed bearings are slightly different???

The bearing is half and half in the hub and 'Felt Housing'' and should be a good fit in both. 

If the bearing popped out easily from the Felt Housing the bearing seat is worn (or stretched ).

The felt washer (around the correct way) is necessary to fill the bearing space  as shown in the picture above- all wheel bearings sealed and unsealed are the same width.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dish washer in rear hub assembly - is it needed anyway? - by Tony Press - 29-10-2018, 03:24 AM