The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nippy boot sag
Hi, can someone tell me about boot / spare wheel compartment sag and how this can be corrected , especially if anyone has had this problem and subsequently fixed it. I'm told it's not an uncommon problem with the nippy.
Safe motoring out there .
Regards RPM
Rpm, there isn't much that holds up the rear of the car. There is a relatively flimsy support from chassis end, and its this that usually needs beefing up.
The problem is that if rust sets in the boot drops and breaks the wood that supports the whole of the rear, the doors then gape and won't close properly. The original support is poor, age and rust just make things worse. Martin Prior's company will probably be able to supply new wooden bits, but there is no mznufactured new rear steel support. I'll add some photos shortly of my solution (well my restorers solution!).

Hopefully these photos will help explain the problem. The angle iron triangle construction is my solution, and others have built different but not too dissimilar metalwork to solve the problem.
On my pre-restoration photo you can see the effect on the doors, the car is trying to fold at the door hinge, not a good sign!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nick what a great reply along with pics thank you so much, really appreciate do you have any measurements to hand , although pics are great for starters.
Warm Regards Rob
Sorry, I didn't make the parts and it's not based at home. It was built in cardboard first, everything levelled, and the original parts straightened, repaired, measured, etc then extra metal designed into the bracketry to give more support. Then built in heavier weight angle iron. All the original positions of securing bolt holes were used. (Mine wasn't helped by needing all new floors made as well as new frame in American Ash.)
I wouldn't be certain that mine, an early 65, has exactly the same dimensions as a later Nippy.
If you need them I can probably find photos of most original rusty parts and newly made parts made to the rusty pattern.
(30-09-2018, 04:53 PM)NickB Wrote: Sorry, I didn't make the parts and it's not based at home. It was built in cardboard first, everything levelled, and the original parts straightened, repaired, measured, etc then extra metal designed into the bracketry to give more support. Then built in heavier weight angle iron. All the original positions of securing bolt holes were used. (Mine wasn't helped by needing all new floors made as well as  new frame in American Ash.)
I wouldn't be certain that mine, an early 65, has exactly the same dimensions as a later Nippy.
If you need them I can probably find photos of most original rusty parts and newly made parts made to the rusty pattern.

Hey nick ,you been very helpful and the pics do most of what I should need to know. Took a good look at my future nippy today didn’t show any signs of cracking around outside bottom spare wheel compartment on outside and the doors not gapping only popping out at bottoms. 
Thanks nick your car will be fantastic when finished love the new wood. Regards Rob
Rob,
You're very lucky!
(30-09-2018, 02:22 PM)NickB Wrote: The problem is that if rust sets in the boot drops and breaks the wood that supports the whole of the rear, the doors then gape and won't close properly. The original support is poor, age and rust just make things worse. Martin Prior's company will probably be able to supply new wooden bits, but there is no mznufactured new rear steel support. I'll add some photos shortly of my solution (well my restorers solution!).

Many thanks for the mention, Nick.  Yes, we at Martin Prior and Son's Motor Works can supply all Nippy/65 woodwork.  01432 820680 or buildingsbespoke@btinternet.com .