The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petrol pump hand primer
On trying to start my ‘37 Ruby I found the hand primer on the fuel pump extremely stiff.
I have taken the opportunity to dismantle it and replace the diaphragm but the primer handle is still extremely stiff even after soaking in diesel for a few days.
There appears to be no adjustment to the spindle, it looks as though it is pressed together.
Is there anything I can do to loosen it.?
If not I can live with it but advice would be appreciated.
Ian        

I always prime the pump by hand when starting my RP for the first time. On a couple of occasions it has started and stopped after a few moments and I have discovered the priming lever has stuck in the up position preventing the operating arm from being moved by the cam.

I now always ensure the lever is pushed down after priming. Fortunately it never seems to stick during normal running. In your case, as long as this never happens I guess you can live with it - it may free off after a few weeks driving.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Lever arms often seem to be a source of oil leaks. A tight fitted one could be a blessing.
My priming lever is also stiff and like Rick I was caught out by it being in the up position. This caused me about half an hour of head scratching before I realised what the problem was.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.