The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Radiator cleaning - economically of course!
(22-09-2018, 11:20 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: I assume you have a water pump Charles?.

Yes, as per the blown Ulster set up. 
However, for this exercise I bypass the water pump to avoid any issues with the gland seal so it works by thermosyphon
Thanks to all for the responses.

I like the simplicity of starting with a flush to sweep out anything loose then following up with a descaling compound. It sounds like a Fernox product is the way to go, both for a descale and then as a running coolant. I'm not bothered about resisting freezing, my record low in the garage was still above freezing, just, - it's the corrosion inhibitor, that anti freeze normally provides, that I want.

The engine is currently in bits so I can get most of the loose stuff out and do the radiator statically on the floor. I like Charles's simple tank set up and may try that when the engine goes back in.

Thanks for your help, Dave
Charles, been following with interest as just replacing top hose connector.I reverse flushed the system anyway but interested in using flomasta product, I assume you used it at 25%

Looking it up I see they also do a leak sealer, although ( fingers crossed) I dont need that at the moment I wondered if anyone had tried it with dodgy radiators ?
Ian
I wouldn't use an in system leak sealer designed for central heating systems in a car radiator without a lot of testing. There isn't a component in a central heating system with a heat exchanger as fine as a car radiator so I'd be worried that it would be worse than rad weld at clogging.
Has someone had a bad experience with Penrite Classic Car Coolant? It's half the price of Fernox and marketed specifically for classic and vintage car cooling systems...

I wouldn't use a leak sealant in any radiator unless I was in a proper pickle at the roadside a long way from home. Fix the leak.
(23-09-2018, 09:42 AM)Viteran Wrote: Charles, been following with interest as just replacing top hose connector.I reverse flushed the system anyway but interested in using flomasta product, I assume you used it at 25%

DS3 is granular and mixed at 1kg to 10 litres of water, like kettle descaler.
I know nothing about Flomasta  products.

If you want to remove rust and harder baked on crud look up Fernox DS40. Expensive and more complex to use but good at cleaning. 

Charles
Sorry sort of answered the wrong thread, it was Nigel who said used screwfix version, either way interesting discussion.
Ian