The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stone Chip paint ?
What is the assembled wisdom / approval about using modern stone chip finish under wings?
Used and then pained wing colour (black in this case)
Will I be drummed out of the Brownies if I go down this route ?
David
(21-09-2018, 01:47 PM)David.H Wrote: What is the assembled wisdom / approval about using modern stone chip finish under wings?
David

Often used to cover poor wormanship, rust, and defects.
My wings are as shiny underneath as on top,looks nice
(21-09-2018, 02:07 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
(21-09-2018, 01:47 PM)David.H Wrote: What is the assembled wisdom / approval about using modern stone chip finish under wings?
David

Often used to cover poor workmanship, rust, and defects.
My wings are as shiny underneath as on top, looks nice
Mine are shiny clean unpainted at the moment and in fine condition!
I take the point though!
I brush black underbody seal under my wings (n.b. on top of the paint job); easily done, it looks tidy and they have lasted well. My car is driven far and wide in all weathers so personally I value a bit of extra protection over paint alone.
(21-09-2018, 02:07 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
David

Often used to cover poor wormanship, rust, and defects.
My wings are as shiny underneath as on top,looks nice

drummed out of the Brownies......Love it ! Big Grin
Certain UK Stonechip products are not waterproof, so be careful using them. Make sure the paint underneath is in fine fettle since water can start corrosion underneath.
My preferred paint is KBS COATINGS Rust Seal properly applied........very strong and flexible......and yes it does take a hammer blow without marking as I have demonstrated at Riley/Scimitar club noggin nights.  100% waterproof.
My intension will be to also put on a coat of U-POL HS Gravitex Plus stone chip protector.  It can be sprayed on to give a good smooth finish.........but I have only so far used it on the fibreglass front bumper of my Scimitar. (no Austins on road at moment but Nippy undergoing very full rebuild)

Unfortunately KBS is currently very difficult to get in UK, though previous supplier may now be starting again, so I am sometimes having to resort to the original invention - POR15 rust seal (there is a document somewhere from a non KBS company man detailing the KBS development saying why KBS is now so much better........can forward a copy if required).

DRUMS....there will be no drums.....the better we can protect our babies the more they will last and the less work we will have to do, leaving more time to enjoy them.  Smile

Dennis
This does depend on the way in which the car is intended to be used.
My preference is to use the car regularly all year round and for that good protection is more important than shiny finishes.
I've owned the car for 10 years and it's holding up very well. However it will need some sympathetic restoration at some stage.
For those who want original cars used only in fair weather the good paint finishes are the way to go.
One of the delights of Austin Sevens is the wide range of both the owners and the use the cars are put to.
Jim
(22-09-2018, 11:03 AM)AustinWood Wrote: This does depend on the way in which the car is intended to be used.
My preference is to use the car regularly all year round and for that good protection is more important than shiny finishes.
I've owned the car for 10 years and it's holding up very well. However it will need some sympathetic restoration at some stage.
For those who want original cars used only in fair weather the good paint finishes are the way to go.
One of the delights of Austin Sevens is the wide range of both the owners  and the use the cars are put to.
I am returning this car to how it probably was in the early 70's in Hong Kong when it had period mechanical /cosmetic modifications & a standard body. The wings are remarkably sound...a few battle scars but no real rot. I will paint & stonechip black (I think with paint over the stonechip as on modern cars) My painter will advise! As it is SWB with a steel body it will be a very strong little car, so very useable I hope.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A properly applied epoxy paint is incredibly tough and will not chip easily or come off for that matter. It even resists bead blasting.
Stephen

The brand name of this Epoxy paint was called ENDURA and was developed for the transport industry on heavy trucks and lorries where hard use was anticipated. Really good stuff.
Stephen