The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manufacturing marks or wear?
I have seen similar but not as pronounced, anybody know what for sure?

I don't know for sure, but that looks like machining marks made during manufacture. I cannot see how it could be wear related.
Hi Ruairidh
Have you counted them and perhaps they
Match with the gear teeth?

If so perhaps the gear cutter was having a fag?

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
They look like Broach marks where the gear cutting broach has been allowed to over run slightly.  Not very attractive, but nothing to worry about.
I noticed these on the Cup's clutch last week, they were not all the way around tho, only on the one side, i will try and get a photograph tonight before i put the box on.
The markings look fresh compared to the rest of the plate...
Looking at the striations and shape of the marks they appear to be identical and relate to the number of splines on the shaft - is there a gap where the blind spline should be? They do look recent but that might just be a trick of the light. You've not been cleaning the splines up with a 9" angle grinder have you? Smile
(18-09-2018, 12:27 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: The markings look fresh compared to the rest of the plate...

They're definitely are not the same age colour as the rest of the metal, so would suggest wear.
Stephen
I'm struggling to imagine what could cause a wear pattern like this. I'm with reckless, looks like someone has tried to clean up the splines with an angle grinder...
Are the marks in line with the teeth or the valley between? Could the clutch plate come back far enough to chatter against the gearbox primary splines?